Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra DI2 - will this work?
Quote | Reply
I had planned to run Ultegra di2 on my roadbike with the STI's and add the DI2 SW-R671 end shifters to my clip-on aerobars as the wire connects to directly to the STI. That way I would not need any new junction box or anyting like that.

Now I am getting more hooked on switching it all onto my Tri bike instead. A scott plasma 3. So I have the derallieurs and the SW-R671, which means I would need either the expencive dura ace st-9071 basebar brake/shift + the 5 port junction SM-EW90-B (and new type battery for re-charging through the usbport?)

or can this work:
Simply getting the 5port junction box + the sprint shifters SW- R610? I could place one by either side of my brake levers on the base bar for up and down shift on rear derallieurs. Is this possible?

I mean, the SW-R671 can connect either directly to STI or to the 5-port box, right? So that must be the same for the sprint buttons?

Do I need the PC-interface module also?
Do I need the new type battery?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eigner,

I had the exact same thought process about a month ago (wanted to rebuild my Orbea Ordu). I work at a Shimano SC, and so asked my inside tech support person. The unfortunate conclusion is that the SW-R610 sprint shifters will, apparently, ONLY work on the 3rd port of the Dura Ace 9070 STI shifters. They have an e-tube connection, but are not big enough to house a cpu to have them do anything; this cpu is instead housed within the DA shifter body.

Now, we haven't actually received any of our sprint shifters yet, so I haven't plug-and-played the system to make sure it doesn't work. We really wanted it to work, not just for my own bike, but for all the Cervelo P5 bikes that we are not able to sell with Dura Ace Di2 because there's no way to shift from the basebar (and what's the point of getting Di2 on a tri bike if you can't do that!)

I ended up going the ST-9071 pursuit bar brake/shift lever route and 5-port junction box, in conjunction with the SW-R671 at the end of my extensions. The good news is that you don't need to go with the new internal battery; the old one will work just fine (I, however, had no free ports to plug in the diagnostic tool, so it took a while to discover that my battery adapter needed a firmware upgrade). But you don't need to buy the PC-Interface - just take it into an SSC and ask them to do the updates.

The other bit of good news is that, if you end up shelling out for the ST-9071 shift/brake levers, I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed. I've been riding my tri bike in large group rides for 3 weeks now, and have no problem staying upright and shifting among other riders.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [liquid_speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the ultegra lvl SW-R671 has the "brain" but still plugs into the STI which also houses the controller. But the sprint buttons for e-tubes (not the old type) does not have that? And the 5-port junction does not have any controller either?
I need the new battery to charge from the 5-port junction? and new charger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Liquid Speed,

Have you at this point been able to test the RW-610 sprinter shifters option with a SM-EW90 junction box? I have the exact problem you described because I am this week running the wiring on my new Cervelo P5 build and would rather not go splicing 3rd party accessories into Di2 Wiring in order to make shifting from the base bar. The best thing I've seen is splicing some cateye accessory shifters into Di2 extension wire that then goes to the junction box. However the shimano sprinter shifters would better fit around the base bar tubing I believe and prove to be a longer lasting option. I'd even be willing to splice the RW-610 wire onto a Di2 extension wire if hooking that directly to the junction box would get in in business. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have any updates here?

im tryin to use the sprint shifters on the base bar of my tt bike, and somehow tie them into the 5port A junction box.
willing to splice.
etc.

I could also tear apart the handlebar 2 button DI2 shifter accessory, or there is the 1button bar end shifeter o r 2 button bar end shifter modules I could tear down and then water proof.
thoughts? ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I have plug my new bar end shifter SW-R671 to my STI break St-6770 di2....and it work perfectly :-) ( no junction box )

BUT..... the battery drain fast super fast 1 day.. I think the junction box can help by switching off the system when the bike is not used or maybe an update of the firmware would be enough...

what do you think ??

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any news on this possibility? I'm looking to run SW-R671 bar-end shifters with a SW-R610 on either horn of my base bar, all running through a 5-port junction. So has anyone actually tried and confirmed that the 610 needs to hook directly into STI shifter/levers?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The R610 sprint shifters are only compatible with the STI road levers. Here is a shot of the 9070 right shifter. The bottom port is for the sprint shifter. Sprint shifter plugs have a tab that fits into that port. I'm not sure if you could just file the tab and then make it work on any port. The sprint shifters don't have any firmware which makes me think that it needs the STI lever's circuit board to translate the button press into a signal that the rest of the system will understand.

The other issue is that the sprint shifters wiring is really only long enough to reach from the drop to the STI lever. I don't think it would be long enough to route through a basebar and reach a 5 port junction under or behind the stem.

I don't have a set of the sprint shifters so I haven't experimented with them yet.

Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra DI2 - will this work? [pecheurs7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi pecheurs7, I just got a used bike with ST-6770 shifters and looking into connecting SW-R671 to clip-on aerobars. Was your issue with battery drain solved? also was the cable on the SW-R671 long enough to reach the shifter connector?
Thanks!
Quote Reply