Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike is okay, thanks.

Gold!

Post of the month, material!

Hope you are getting better and will recover fully.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
My season ended June 28. I now have 8 pins and a plate in my collarbone. In a crit, out of the blue, a guy lays his bike down in front of me on a curve and the last thing that went through my head before waking up on the asphalt was, "It's my turn."

That's racing. If you do it enough, you'll crash. Hopefully no surgery, though.

I'm in roughly the same boat. Collarbone surgery for me coming up on Friday. One of the first things I remember asking after I woke up was if my bike was okay. Sadly the answer was no.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bones heal.....Campag doesn't."

Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) What prompted the change?
I really like to ride my bike. I am far better at riding than I am at swimming or running. I was already enjoying myself while doing a few time trials and road races in between tris so I figured I would give bike racing full time a shot. This also allowed me to focus my training time into just riding...instead of having to worry about 2 other sports and how they interfere with each other. I commute to work by bike pretty much everyday because I don't have to worry about swimming or running.

2) Do you have any regrets?
None. I'm doing what I love to do and eliminated the other two things that I only kind of liked to do. Having better results in bike racing this year is just gravy.

3) Whatever your expectations were (it would be more fun etc), did it live up to those expectations?
It was far better than expected. My expectations were simply better bike racing results. In addition I got a much more simple and enjoyable life. My training schedule is so easy to manage and much more flexible. No more worrying about switching my long run to a different day or if I can make it to the pool due to traffic. In general, I wake up later in the morning, and get done with my training earlier in the evening because my bike training is not incorporated with my commute to work. I train more hours but have more free time if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stuff like this is what makes bike racing awesome. I was fortunate to be the protected rider for a number of years and now enjoy doing the same for teammates. That often means finishing 50th but you had the fun of putting people on the rivet to get a friend a result.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [Ex-Rower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-Rower wrote:
McNulty wrote:
My season ended June 28. I now have 8 pins and a plate in my collarbone. In a crit, out of the blue, a guy lays his bike down in front of me on a curve and the last thing that went through my head before waking up on the asphalt was, "It's my turn."

I'm in roughly the same boat. Collarbone surgery for me coming up on Friday. One of the first things I remember asking after I woke up was if my bike was okay. Sadly the answer was no.

Good luck. It's all about the anesthesia. :)

I can't wait to race again, though I've been on the bike a few times lately and I'm skittish around other wheels. It'll come back. My other old guy friends are urging retirement and Grand Fondos. Not ready yet. I need to dominate 55+ Masters, then I'll go.

I have a funny story about waking up in the ground after the crash, but you guys will have to plead with me to tell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Ex-Rower wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Good luck. It's all about the anesthesia. :)

I can't wait to race again, though I've been on the bike a few times lately and I'm skittish around other wheels. It'll come back. My other old guy friends are urging retirement and Grand Fondos. Not ready yet. I need to dominate 55+ Masters, then I'll go.

I have a funny story about waking up in the ground after the crash, but you guys will have to plead with me to tell it.

IN the ground? You must have been really unconscious.
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wants to be as inebriated as his namesake on the Wire
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you who have jumped from Triathlon to Bike Racing... [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wants to be as inebriated as his namesake on the Wire

On...ON the ground.....

So once there on the ground I come to and I'm catching my breath and moaning and and its about high noon and hot and I can't open my eyes as the sun is in them and my glasses are knocked off. So I ask one of the helpful folks if someone could shade me from the sun so I could open my eyes. And someone does. So I open my eyes and this smokin' hot woman in a sun dress and thong has decided to provide the shade.
I open my eyes and go, "Oh. Thanks. Have I died? Is this heaven?" Everyone had a good laugh. And then the pain kicked in.
Funny what you come up with when traumatized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next