Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: kidney donor recovery [alextim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this info. I am currently waiting for a transplant but a donor has been identified and it looks like it may be as early as December. It is great to hear that the donor can carry on without much concern. I am recieving a kidney from a friend/co-worker/employer and part of my anxiety is how the procedure will affect his lifestyle as he is also very active. I am hopeful that I can return to racing by late summer and make a return to Maui for the Xterra Worlds...we are even planning on doiing a Challenge Half as a team to raise awareness for Organ donation. I can truly appreciate your gift. Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alextim wrote:
It has been a little over two years now and I have no ill effects whatsoever. It seems like we were all born with a spare kidney.
I had the transplant surgery on May 1st, 2012. I wasn't able to do the tri in June because I had a little complication with a suture. I was recovering nicely for about three weeks and had even started riding my bike again when I started having some pain just below my belly button. It got worse and worse and I ended up back at the transplant clinic. The clinic didn't help but eventually, about three weeks later, I saw a local family doctor who recognized the problem right away and operated right then in his office and removed the suture. Three stitches later I was on my way to full recovery. I started training very soon after that. Biking first, then swimming and lastly running. By the end of August I was able to do my next tri.
I have done about 10 tris since then and a number of running races. I don't think having one kidney has made any difference at all in athletics or any other part of my life. I try to avoid ibuprofen and am maybe a little more careful to stay hydrated but that is probably good advice for any of us.
Even with my minor setback, I would do it again in a minute.
I hope your brother is doing well and your recovery goes smoothly. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks Alex for the reply.

Firstly, my brother is doing amazingly well and is on the best possible recovery path. I had some complications post surgery (7Aug)- mainly pleural effusion - which prolonged my stay in hospital to 11 days instead of the normal 3/4 days. It also prolonged the initial recovery which took a month (or even more); but fortunately I'm all good now (except for a small leftover - sore left testicle - I hope this too will wade off in due course)

The doctors here (Kerala, India) are a bit conservative though; and had advised me not to start activities before 3 months (and I'm counting days to Nov7). Although I feel that I'm okay to start practicing, I had to abide by the advice since there are familial pressures too that not to go anything counter to doctors' advices.

Now, I've certain targets to meet; for instance 4k under 15 minutes (I hope the easiest among the targets) and beating my regular partners at badminton on 4 off 5 ratio (which I used to do initially). Once I achieve those, I would believe I had recovered in full, and hope so it would occur at the earliest.

Cheers!
Last edited by: salman004: Oct 25, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my husband donated a kidney to his sister several years ago. we scheduled it a week after boston. he was back home within a couple of days and back on the trainer spinning easy within the week and jogging lightly about 10 days after surgery. his surgeon had him call in every few days to give him updates as he said they had not had many ironman/marathon athletes donating kidneys. my husband was 45 at the time. anyway, he did some short races at an easy pace in the summer and fall, then the next calendar year was completely normal- spring marathon, summer ironman. the only things he has to watch are- no nsaids, and stay fully hydrated. he has not had any adverse reactions! best of luck. it's a wonderful thing to be a part of:)
Quote Reply
Re: kidney donor recovery [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donated at the end of July 14 and in the preparation asked the consultant about effects & safety for ultras/long distance tri. They scouted around and found some colleagues who were into endurance sports and their conclusions were:
- adaptation of the remaining kidney takes a long time (up to a year) so nothing more than a half marathon type event for first 9 months or so
- muscle breakdown is an issue so beware of dehydration and that endurance events are making an already heavily loaded remaining kidney work overtime. Probably ok but at your own risk.
- protein digestion create a lot of work for the kidneys so not to take protein supplements, high protein diet

It is 15 weeks since I donated and to be honest I'm still shattered. I've tried a couple of swims/runs but after 20 minutes I'm wrung out and good for nothing for a couple of days afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: kidney donor recovery [salman004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: left testicle pain. Same here.

I understand this is because the gonadal vein connects with the renal vein and they tie this off when they take the vein. What I haven't been able to get good advice on is the impact on the adrenal gland - on the left the vein off this is also tied off with the expectation that superficial veins will grow and take over draining the gland.

As your kidneys regulate EPO and adrenal gland makes cortisol I'm intrigued as to effect of donation on the hormonal system but can't find any good info and my Doctors are better at platitudes that data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother had a kidney removed at age 40 due to stage 2 RCC.

He was up and training again after 3-4 weeks but was not 100% for about 6 months.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next Monday it will be 5-years since my kidney donation. I am happy to report that there is nothing to report. Apparently we are all born with a spare.
I have participated in several triathlons every year since then and a number of running races with no issues at all. I competed in my first tri of the season yesterday.
Donating a kidney needs to be a personal choice. Everyone needs to make their own decision about what is right for them. I am not a doctor and can only speak for myself, but for what it is worth, don't be afraid. The gain is more than the risk.
I think triathletes make ideal donors. As a group, we are strong and driven and know that pain is a temporary thing. The very best things come from having the courage to dive in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving this thread because I’m about 5 days post-op (donated to my father), and wondering if there are any more out there with experience returning to tri after donation. I’m walking pretty well and can go for awhile already, but I haven’t pushed anything, obviously.

Nurses told me jogging and cycling within two weeks and swimming and weights within four, but that seems awfully quick to me (surgery done at Mayo). Any thoughts?

The only way to avoid disappointment is to not try anything at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Congrats on your decision to donate a kidney:) My husband donated a kidney to his sister in April of 1999....one week after we ran Boston ......he has since completed 10 Ironmans and many marathons...he ran Chicago 1999 seven months after the donation . He has not had one problem in those 18 years. He was 46 at the time. Just be patient with your return to full training and honor the time it takes your body to heal. Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next