Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Sweet Caroline, is now a rugby Anthem.

One of the creepiest songs ever

If I were putting a playlist specifically for an endurance in event Boston, I might start with

"Don't Look Back" - Boston
"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith*
"Roadrunner" - Jonathan Richman/Modern Lovers
"Let The Good Times Roll" - The Cars

* I have "No More No More" on my post-run playlist

Pretty sure the Dropkick Murphys win this contest.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's MY playlist, and - honestly - I don't like them very much 😉

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I start every single morning with this version of Eye of the Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXXQiB_xpo

Whatever gets you out of bed...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Might be fun to start a new thread on what folks would like to hear at triathlon events.

I always thought we should have the Game of Thrones theme blaring as we enter an Ironman swim. Good music as we enter the swim "battle" :-)

while you're at it, have everyone shout "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam" ("It is a good day to die" in Klingon)

Honestly, if the music is the biggest thing you have about which to be concerned prior to a race in which you don't take first place, then maybe, just maybe, you might want to re-examine your priorities on how you budget your emotional energy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [bw1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bw1 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Might be fun to start a new thread on what folks would like to hear at triathlon events.

I always thought we should have the Game of Thrones theme blaring as we enter an Ironman swim. Good music as we enter the swim "battle" :-)

while you're at it, have everyone shout "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam" ("It is a good day to die" in Klingon)

Honestly, if the music is the biggest thing you have about which to be concerned prior to a race in which you don't take first place, then maybe, just maybe, you might want to re-examine your priorities on how you budget your emotional energy.

This post was meant to be humorous. Who pissed in your cheerios today!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
bw1 wrote:

Ok, at first I read this part of the post in an angry sort of way - like a Klingon would - but then I thought 'Who the fuck knows battle quotes in Klingon?'

So I re-read it in Jim Parson's voice, and it's fucking hilarious

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
bw1 wrote:

Ok, at first I read this part of the post in an angry sort of way - like a Klingon would - but then I thought 'Who the fuck knows battle quotes in Klingon?'

So I re-read it in Jim Parson's voice, and it's fucking hilarious

Ha! If Jim Parson's Sheldon Cooper character were to say something like the above, it would be funny and right on character! Anyone else who responds like that here on ST, I assume they are troubled, maybe angry and feel sorry for them.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Dec 13, 22 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
bw1 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Comedy gold right here...dude quoting klingon, who apparently even knows how to spell it, and you're the one with the issue?

to your original post, humor or not - got so tired of a prior dj insisting that eye of the tiger be played multiple times, he was dismissed. luckily, our timer, fastracktiming , needed no such instruction. good stuff hereTriingtotrain!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
bw1 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Honestly, if the music is the biggest thing you have about which to be concerned prior to a race in which you don't take first place, then maybe, just maybe, you might want to re-examine your priorities on how you budget your emotional energy

Comedy gold right here...dude quoting klingon, who apparently even knows how to spell it, and you're the one with the issue?

to your original post, humor or not - got so tired of a prior dj insisting that eye of the tiger be played multiple times, he was dismissed. luckily, our timer, fastracktiming , needed no such instruction. good stuff hereTriingtotrain!

No problems with the Klingon. I highlighted what surprised me. I am not sure why this person responded to my post. I think if they just did the Klingon and left out the rest, it would have been fine

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [bw1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bw1 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

That's a great name for an epic metal tune!

I think that triathletes need more death metal to get them to clear the transition before the race. Or to get them into the water!
Who can't resist a few rounds of Hammer Smashed Face before they are off to the races!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Circling back around ... "Might be fun to start a new thread on what folks would like to hear at triathlon events."

I've done so many events in Philly that it would be weird to start a race without "Eye Of The Tiger" or "Gonna Fly Now" or any other Rocky music playing; so, I'm kinda stuck with it

Would I prefer something else? Maybe, but I dunno what, really

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistergomez wrote:
The next tri race I do, I've decided that, when and if I hear the "Eye Of The Tiger," song again, before a triathlon race, I'm just getting back into my car, and going home.

There's just no point in going on, after being forced to listen to the group "Survivor" before anything competitive, after high school, or junior high, at least. I thought that shit ended back then. But apparently it has not.

Its an assault on whatever dignity I have as an adult human being, if any anyway, to endure such madness, because not only is it played once, it's played throughout the race. "Rocky Music" must be the national anthem of Triathlon Racing. Yet, for as many intelligent people involved in this sport, we play goon music. And what simpletons get pumped up by this retarded music? "Uhhhh, I was really feeling, tired, until that Rocky Music fired up, then everything sort of came together: the pictures of Rocky Balboa getting his ass kicked, and running up the Philly capitol, when he swallowed all of those eggs, the Adrian thing, his triumphant victory, and so on, oh....man, now I'm ready to hammer!"

And who, or which race director, keeps the Survivor CD? Or would admit to it? I bet he throws that son of a bitch away right after the race, for fear, that if he left it in his or her car, or accidentally brought it home, his friends might see it, and laugh at him.

And what an ordeal it must be to have forgotten to bring the Eye of the Tiger song, before the race:

"Uh, Gary. I just told everybody to come check in, get a bike rack, and get their timers on and so on. Where's the Rocky Music cd?"

"Shit, I forgot it."

"You forgot Eye Of the Tiger? How could you?"

"Yeah."

"Gary, we can't have the race until we fire up Eye of The Tiger."

"Well, I threw it away last year."

"I'll go run to Wal-mart real quick, and get that Survivor CD. Be right back."

"We don't have time. Give me the microphone, for a minute."

Microphone: "Okay, can I have everybody's attention. This includes you peole swimming out in the lake. Listen up. We lost the Eye Of The Tiger song, does anybody out there, happen, by chance have it, listening to it in their cars? And, listen, in case you do, Gary and I will turn our backs, so as not to see who actually owns that, and you can leave it at the table. Thanks."

162 replies and no one has chastised the OP for using the word “retarded”? ST is in danger of losing its woke card.
Last edited by: imsparticus: Mar 12, 23 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, this thread was started more than 18 years ago, and I don't think anyone has actually gone back to read Post #1 in about 16 of those years - I know *I* haven't

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
To be fair, this thread was started more than 18 years ago, and I don't think anyone has actually gone back to read Post #1 in about 16 of those years - I know *I* haven't

Understood, but according to chat:

The use of the word "retarded" as a term for people with intellectual disabilities has been considered inappropriate and offensive for several decades. In the 1960s and 1970s, people with intellectual disabilities and their advocates began to speak out against the use of the word "retarded" due to its derogatory and stigmatizing connotations.

As a result of these efforts, many countries, including the United States, passed legislation in the 1990s to replace the term "mental retardation" with "intellectual disability" in official documents and communication. This change reflected a broader shift in attitudes towards disability and the recognition of the dignity and humanity of people with intellectual disabilities.

Today, the use of the word "retarded" is generally considered offensive and derogatory, and it is no longer considered acceptable in polite society. Instead, people are encouraged to use respectful and inclusive language that reflects the dignity and humanity of all individuals, including those with intellectual disabilities.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not arguing that - I just think no one ever realized that word was in the thread at all

The poster is long gone, so there's no way get that remediated

Did anyone besides me ever realize that the Rocky series play out like Flowers for Algernon? Before Rocky met Apollo, he was stupid, but the more time he spent with Apollo, he got smarter. When Apollo was killed by Drago in Rocky IV, he went back to being stupid

In Rocky Balboa, after Adrian passed, he somehow became wiser again?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snowflakes, snowflakes everywhere
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistergomez wrote:
The next tri race I do, I've decided that, when and if I hear the "Eye Of The Tiger," song again, before a triathlon race, I'm just getting back into my car, and going home.
"

So...I did The Woodlands Half Marathon a little over a week ago. The "Eye of the Tiger" is one of my favorite songs to hear as I am running through an aid station on down the finish line shoot but I didn't hear it at this event. The DJ must have got ear of this thread and put it away. I heard a song on the course as I came through the 8 mile aid station that got me just as excited. Cake's "Going the Distance" was playing. I graduated from high school in the 90's so this is a something from my generation and I have often got it stuck in my head on training days and in races. I had never heard it at any event through so after hitting a 10K PR and then passing a half dozen people between the 10K and 8 mile markers It was like they were playing the song just for me. Some one I actually knew was a volunteer at the 9 mile aid station and just happened to be standing the spot in the line that I needed the person that I got my Gatorade cup to be so I again was on a high to get my cup from someone that I know during a races with thousands of participants and hundreds of volunteers. That was also a first. When I came through the 10-mile marker under 1 hours for my first time (I failed to do in to two open 10 mile races over the past year and failed to do that in another half marathon recently) I felt unstoppable. So I had a great race, but only remember one other some from the event. They were playing BTS's Dynamite and I was leaving. This is NOT a song of my generation, but it is a song of the generation of my children and my teenage daughter is really big into BTS. So...for me songs are way to connect with a time, a person, or a feeling. If that feeling is one of being strong, fit, or fast it can give you a big boost at a time you needed in in a race. If the song is overdone and leaves with an empty feeling then no harm done. It it leaves you with a negative feeling then that is one more thing that you have to learn to be flexible with and adjust to on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

This could also be rephrased as...some people on Slow Twitch care about their use of language and how their word choice impacts marginalized communities.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier500 wrote:
Michal_CH wrote:

This could also be rephrased as...some people on Slow Twitch care about their use of language and how their word choice impacts marginalized communities.

Time to move to the Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
I heard a song on the course as I came through the 8 mile aid station that got me just as excited. Cake's "Going the Distance" was playing.

That's a good one. It always reminds me of this anime from MTV's Liquid Television

https://vimeo.com/397515669

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Would I prefer something else? Maybe, but I dunno what, really

"For Those About To Rock" "Highway To Hell" - AC/DC
"Born To Run" - Bruce [they probably play this in North Jersey as much as "Eye Of The Tiger" or anything else Rocky in Philly]
"Run For The Hills" - Maiden [just don't listen too closely to the lyrics]
"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" - The Offspring [see above]
"Road To Nowhere" - Talking Heads

If they really want to get eclectic ... "Adidas In Heat" - Adrian Belew
The thrill of victory, the agony of my feet

They could play "Photograph" [by either Def Lep OR Ringo Starr; "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon is lovely, but SOOOOO dated in the 21st Century] on a loop at the spot where the race photogs are

When I'm running long, I also hear the bridge to "All My Life" by Foo Fighters in my head

Done, done and I'm on to the next one

Quote Reply

Prev Next