Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to eat before my race (not typical question)?
Quote | Reply
I have my first sprint this weekend. I know from other posts that most people say that it doesn't matter much what you eat before a sprint. But I have been focusing on losing fat and have been eating A LOT of salads and drinking protien shakes to create a solid calorie deficit. I'm definitely doing well in the fat loss area but now that I have a race coming up I want to make sure I have the energy stores to do well. My race is Saturday. What should my diet look like in the days leading up to Saturday? What should I eat the morning of the race and how early (I've heard 3 hours before minimum to have any real effect)? Why choose those particular foods? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [fatbastardtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For any distance race, I try to cut back on things like salad & fresh veggies a couple of days before... you'll likely have to go #2 race morning anyway, but I think this helps not make it as much of an emergency. If you're concerned about energy, conventional wisdom says increase your % of carbs starting about 2 days before race day (by, at least for me, sacrificing stuff high in fat & fiber - see the #2 comment above). As for race morning, do what works for you in training. Most people will tell you to have your last solid food a few hours before the start of the race so your body has time to process it, and to make it something that will give you plenty of energy but not make you feel bloated (I see a lot of people eating bagels... I'm a homemade granola guy myself).

Good luck and congrats on your first race. Make sure you post about your experience.

Oh, and afterward, reward yourself... You've been working hard, trying to lose weight & exercise. Good for you. Splurge a little on a special treat... you'll have burned the calories anyway, and if you try to live on rabbit food alone you'll go crazy (at least, I would).
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [fatbastardtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the length of the race, I will eat either a whole or half whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. I try to stay away from the crunchy, because it doesn't always sit well in my stomach. I also plan on eating this at least 1.5 hours before the race, so it has a chance to get settled.

Good luck on the race. Also, if your nerves are getting to you then eat a little less that morning, but make sure you take some GU during.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot wings & poutine

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race morning for me is normally 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a generous amount of brown sugar. I will either add a hand full raisins or walnuts to that when I feel like it. The walnuts gives it more calories. That mixture gives me around 400 calories that is easily digestable and simple to make.

On the way to the race I may have a banana, cliff bar and/or gatorade.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first full sprint was last Saturday. I was in the same process as you, dropping a lot of fat before that race and on a solid caloric deficit. About Wednesday I starting upping my carb intake by replacing my normal egg for breakfast with low fat pancakes and adding half a cup of either pasta or rice to my dinner. Race morning I ate a stack of pancakes and a cup of very strong coffee about 2.5 hours before the race. That gave me pleanty of time to take care of the #2 business before the race start. During the race, I consumed about half a bottle of Gatorade on the bike and my energy level was great for the entire race. Best of luck to you on your first sprint! Have a fantastic race!

If I had any other advice to give since this is your first, well, be prepared for the mass open water start. Nothing I read or imagined had quite prepared me for 100 men all thrashing for position in the same place at the same time. If you are at all interested you can read my race report over at http://www.aipaloovik.com.

Again, hope you have a fantastic race!
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hot wings & poutine
+1. You'd be stupid not to.

Quote | Reply
That is what I have during the run. I'm asking about before the race. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hot wings & poutine
+ a side of chili
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a cult-like belief in a Svenhard's bear claw or two. Yes, the pre-packaged grocery store pastry... I know it violates the ST health/nutritional code, but it sits in the gut well and doesn't act up while prone in the water. Plenty of carbs at least.
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [TriUno83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried this for breakfast but have eaten Hostess Apple Pies on long rides.

Allmost 500 calories for just over $1 at most gas stations, mostly sugar anyway.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read responses, so this might be redundant.

Eat one good big meal with a plentiful amount of carbs the night before. That will top off your glycogen stores.
Then I'd have one of those protein drinks (mixed with WATER in the morning as you head out the door to your race).

Then sip on water all morning until you urinate perfectly clear.

Then race with no need for food or water during the race at all.

If available to you, one packet of gu 10 minutes before race start wouldn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your eating strategy depends a bit on how long you'll be out there. For a really short sprint, you may take an hour or an an hour and a half to get it done. Your body actually has enough stored as glycogen to get through this kind of effort, so you don't need to eat anything to finish it. You'll go a bit faster if you have some food though, so by all means eat. Aim for something more carbohydrate-based, as you won't metabolize anything else quickly enough for it to have any effect during the race.

I've heard that a bit of sugar just before the event also helps, so you might take a gu or a swig of gatorade or something like that about 20 minutes prior to the start, just before getting in the water to warm up. And do warm up! You want to get your heart rate high with some brief, but fast, efforts before the start.

Personally, I don't like very sugary things, so my race morning breakfast is often oatmeal, unsweetened or with a bit of fruit added for sweetener/flavor. This is something I eat frequently enough anyway, so it doesn't cause me trouble. (For normal days I prefer a more solid breakfast, like beans and eggs, as cereal doesn't last long enough. For race morning I don't want anything too heavy.)

I'd recommend you eat something that you're used to for breakfast anyway. If you used to eat cereal for breakfast (before your diet), eat that. If you used to eat a bagel, go with that. If you used to eat omelettes, well, you might try something a little lighter.

As far as the days leading up to the race, just eat as normal. Again, I don't think you need to do anything special for a sprint distance race. Don't stuff yourself on Friday night, but don't go to bed starving either. Try not to eat anything new, greasy, or spicy that night either.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the night before i have a big plate of pasta, salad and bread

in the morning i will eat another plate of the leftover pasta bout 2-2:30 hours pre race

"If you can talk, go harder!"

------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [rubberband] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find I race short races best when I get some gel in 10-15 min before the start. I use this for hard training days too. For an OLy of HIM I'll get lots of carbs in the 2 days before the race, lower fiber, lots of everything and actually gain 1-2 pounds before race day. Day of the race I get up early and eat leftover pancakes or fresh oatmeal 3 hours pre-race. For an Oly or sprint I'll sip water and sustained energy while driving to the race and in Transition while setting up then the gel as I'm walking to the water. You do have plenty of stored glycogen for a short race, but I like the gels anyway.

good luck

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I would stop dieting now, and just get quality, nutritionally dense foods, higher carb intake.
Fruit, whole grains, quality protein.
Hydrate!
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before my race (not typical question)? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hot wings & poutine
+ a side of chili
Biscuits and sausage gravy. Alternately, a breakfast of pickles, chips and salsa with a nice glass of milk comes highly recommended. Please let us all know how everything comes out.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply