Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it?
Quote | Reply
I bought a can of Vittoria Pit Stop in preparation for an upcoming race. The guy at by LBS told me to let the sealant fill the tire, remove the cannister, spin the tire, then re-insert the cannister to inflate the tire. Has anyone tried this?

Do I need to wait a minute or two to let the sealant "set" before inflating the tire?

(I've read though some of the threads regarding Vittoria Pit Stop. It seems to procedure is to completely empty the contents of the cannister before removing it and then rotating the tire.)
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it? [eino1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read though some of the threads regarding Vittoria Pit Stop. It seems to procedure is to completely empty the contents of the cannister before removing it and then rotating the tire.)
-------------------------
That's what I did. It sounds like you did a search. We had a thread a year or so back talking about this. I tried it x2 and all it did was make a mess. Tom D did a review a couple of years ago and he had good results. I still have one can and don't even take it to races anymore.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look on bikesport Michagan (Tom's website) for a review. I think it says it all in there.
He claims he uses so I might send him a PM if no luck there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I bought a can of Vittoria Pit Stop in preparation for an upcoming race. The guy at by LBS told me to let the sealant fill the tire, remove the cannister, spin the tire, then re-insert the cannister to inflate the tire. Has anyone tried this?

Do I need to wait a minute or two to let the sealant "set" before inflating the tire?

(I've read though some of the threads regarding Vittoria Pit Stop. It seems to procedure is to completely empty the contents of the cannister before removing it and then rotating the tire.)

Hi--I used this after flatting at mile 50 of a half IM. It workedwell. The verbiage at http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...toria-Pit-Stop.shtml includes these examples:

"The idea behind Vittoria Pit Stop is that you don’t have to change a flat tire. You simply inject the gas/foam mixture into the tire when you flat and get back on your bike....You just shoot the stuff in the tire and go,"

and again,

"When you have a flat tire you simply open your valve stem, press the nozzle on the Vittoria Pit Stop canister onto your valve stem and press toward the tire to release the compressed gas and the liquid foam sealant. Both substances shoot into the tire under pressure.... It seals the hole and inflates the tire simultaneously." (emphasis added)

Ideally, after discharging the cannister into the tire, there is no
need for further inflation.

The icons on the can, though, suggest additional action *may* be needed,
though not with the can:

1. a nail is pulled out of the tire.
2. a finger insures the valve is open.
3. the cap is removed form the cannister.
4. the cannister is pressed over the valve at a right angle.
5. a handkerchief wipes off a bit of foam from the valve.
6. the tire is rotated.
7. a hand holds the tire--probably checking it for sufficient inflation?
8. a portable bicycle pump hovers near the tire; an unspecified gauge--
with number like "10," "11," "12," "1," and "2" appears at the
top of the diagram; a gray band suggests elapsed time. the
intended meaning may be, "see? less than a minute."

I take all that to mean, "if the cannister doesn't fill the tire up to
sufficient pressure, you may need to inflate it a bit more." From the
web site above and my own experience x1, the inflation was sufficient.

In a recently resurrected post from last fall about IM Wisconsin, though,
TDemerly lists his on-the-bike equipment and doesn't seem to be using the
pit stop, at least at that particular event.

I see nothing in any of this suggesting that you routinely need
to--or, if used properly, even can--apply the cannister x2, though,
as you say your LBS person recommends.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it? [double helix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it yesterday on a buytl clincher to test on my training tyre before todays race.
Worked without a problem on a tyre with three holes.
Things i did that make sense to me. . . 1. Make sure value is not stuck. Sometimes the value can be open but not free. 2. Hold the tyre against the rim by the valve so that it has a bit of pressure (instructions show using it with value at top). 3. After emptying in 1 go, slowly rotate the wheel.

Worked well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, it's just a one step process. Everybody here is right about opening the valve and making sure it's open (as in...tap it a few times with your finger to make sure it's not stuck) then put the Pit stop on there and make sure you have good pressure between valve and Pit Stop can (as in...don't let the valve get pushed half way into the tire so the value/Pit Stop connection is only partial). The Pit Stop will inject the sealant/foam/magic solution at the same time it inflates the tire. You need to spin the wheel after so that the goo coats the whole tire and finds the puncture or punctures. Empty the whole can, seal the valve and ride without littering.

It's a fairly brilliant device - perhaps even more brilliant for sew-up users than for clinchers users.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the perfect thing to carry on the bike for tubular race wheels, if it works as well as everyone says. I have Blackwell Research 100's, which come with rather oddly shaped (IMO) valve extenders. Will this prodcut attach to the valve stem extenders? I have a 1/2 IM in 2 weeks, and have been stressing how to carry a spare, since I can't find a spare valve extender long enough. Think this will work so I don't need a spare tire?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like some people have had good results. Maybe I'll try it with my tubies.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Providing you've already bought a can, the best use would be to throw it away now before you smash it against your bike when it doesn't work as planned.

Seriously...terrible product, even in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Pit Stop - What's the right way to use it? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been plenty of people with bad results as well...
Quote Reply