Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers?
Quote | Reply
For temperatures under 60* F I've read that knee protection is a good idea since the kneecap is exposed and there is not much blood flow to the area.

The problem is that when I wear tights, the bursa at the patella becomes inflamed and painful after about 30 miles (prepatellar bursitis?). I imagine that the same thing would happen with knee warmers as I believe it is the constriction on the knee causing the problem. It happens when I run in tights also.

For temps between 50* and 60* would vaseline be effective for protecting the kneecap from the wind chill effect?

Here's where the idea comes from. The following text is from Jeff Galloway's website. He recommends vaseline when running in extreme cold.

"In extreme cold (when temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees F), do not expose any skin if possible. Even when there is minimal exposure, put Vaseline or other cold weather insulation/protection on any area which may incidentally be hit by the wind (eyelids, etc.)."

Plus, some of you may remember you mother coating your cheeks with the gel before going outside to play in the snow.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bet. I use gobs of vaseline on my face and ears during cold weather ski races. I also spread it all over my entire feet if it's especially cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also try some warming embrocation. I find aquaphor last longer than vaseline but it is more expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it would be an effective, albeit greasy, solution. I remember hearing that swimmers that cross the English channel get a good coating of the stuff before their venture.
Although, I wonder how tight your tights are if they're inflaming your knee.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [Ttown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't thinking of the sports rub / liniment oil stuff but it is something to consider. Thanks.

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [slowhokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm sure it would be an effective, albeit greasy, solution.[/quote]
Yea, I'll need to make sure I don't bump into anything.

In Reply To:

Although, I wonder how tight your tights are if they're inflaming your knee.[/quote]That's the strange part. They aren't that tight as I have pretty skinny legs and knees. I think it is just enough compression to cause a problem on the right knee. No problem on the left. I have zero knee problems when riding and running bare-legged.

Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Aquaphor on my face and other exposed parts in the cold and it seems to help, plus it is probably a bit better for the skin than petrolium jelly.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [fa590] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2 for Aquaphor so I just may have to give it a shot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd cut the "foot part" off an old tube sock before I greased up to ride. A tube sock without the foot should be loose enough and less greasy :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used vaseline for this purpose while riding before (usually because I forgot my leg warmers). Works well if you don't mind being greasy.

Apart from being greasy it also gets pretty dirty since dust/dirt/sand etc sticks to the vaseline, just fyi.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Vaseline in lieu of knee warmers? [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to avoid a fredly solution. I had actually considered cutting the bottom 8-10" off of the legs of old sweat pants. Then I could pull them on with the elastic cuff above the knee to keep them in place. But, that was going to be a last resort.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is widely done. I believe the term is "belgian knee warmers"

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
this is widely done. I believe the term is "belgian knee warmers"[/quote] Which one? The vaseline or the tube sock?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/

<quote>
BELGIUM KNEE WARMERS DEFINED

For many professional cyclists the Spring campaign is the toughest of the season; it means training from October until March in the worst, character-building weather conditions Europe can dish out. This weather and the suffering that is bicycle racing breed characters known as "hardmen".

Select cyclists tackle these conditions in shorts, long sleeve jerseys or short sleeve jerseys with arm warmers, wind vests, and shoe covers. A true hardman opts to forego the knee or leg warmers and instead chooses an embrocation to cover the knees. The liniment provides warmth for the legs and keeps the blood circulating and muscles supple. Embrocation and the sheen created is affectionately known as "Belgium knee warmers". The hardest of cyclists will sport bare legs in the most ruthless of conditions.

Belgium Knee Warmers are indicitive of the many subtleties that make professional cycling so enthralling.
<end quote>