Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ?
Quote | Reply
The rain started to come down and the sirens were audible in the distance, I think that I am one of the few who heard them – and understood what they were. Blake, Zach and some twenty + others were already on the run course but the mass of people were on the bike course. Folks were rolling into transition as I see some of our banners fly across the park. I head out onto the run course as I hear that our volunteers are running for cover, I need to be sure that aid stations are up. Jordan Heimer an ST lurker was also on the course doing the same – without Jordan Heimer, Rockman would have had a “Worst race ever” thread or two. I got to the third aid station (Jordan was checking 1 and 2), lightning had struck not 100yds from the “Ha Ha” hill and I got there in time to see the local swim team running for cover in their cars. I plead with them to just drive their cars up the path and sit in their cars till they saw people – lucky for me Aaron Palmer who also raced on a team and was one of the top folks out of the water was at the aid station. Aaron is also the coach for the YMCA Stingrays swim team and a tri guy…he held down the fort and was sure that everyone stayed on track standing in the rain for hours.

Leaning into the wind I was waiting on a car to pass as the middle of the run aid station blew over and down the road. More panic. I knew there were folks on the bike course…I went to the mile 7 aid station and moved it to a corner, it would now be more than 2 miles between aid stations, but – the folks at the corner for a turn had left. I was now going to use an aid station to also be a directional station, even if there was more than two miles now (it was about a half mile move). Once I got them moved I noticed that the aid station trash can was not there…it blew away as it was just a cardboard box with a bag in it.

Once I had the corner set I called “Ha Ha” and heard that Blake had passed and was in the campground. Driving on a dirt path (sorry Rock Cut officials) I made it to the turn and they were set, I left before Blake got there and went to the start area to try to regroup. Driving in I was yelling out the window that we needed help and that if anyone could help to meet me at the tent. Many people dropped their day (spectators) and were willing to go out on the run course and man an aid station. Amy Linnabary who was in charge of our help did a hell of a job getting people where we needed them – back to the course I went. I got to the last out and back and found that there was no one directing people to turn right at a T in the path and begged two younger girls to walk about ¾ mile to the turn. The course had been marked in spray chalk that was now gone. My biggest fear was folks going off course…my worst nightmare. I knew that a few had gone off course on the bike – three was the rumor at that time.

Oh….Back track!!! So I was in the BMW flying south on Free Church Rd. Everyone was riding clean and it was a good race. I got to the end of the road and saw the cop car…cop sitting in it not controlling traffic. I rolled up and through the intersection where she just laid into me about rolling it…I told her I was RD and that there were bikes coming…she did not care and told me that I need to obey the law. Pulling away I called her Sergeant and asked him to get her out of the car…as a tri guy himself he did so. I hear that as soon as she got out the rain started where she was.

To stay on the “Back Track”…on the bike course I was at Capron Rd (where I changed a flat tire) and Coon Trail. Our volunteer for that corner was not there so I knocked on a door at the corner. The homeowner who I had met last year jumped into action! He got out road cones, saw horses and his kids…they took over the corner for me. I owe them some tee shirts.

Back to the park, I get a call…the tent is blowing away. The timers clock is broken and there are bike racks falling. I get another call that there is no one at a turn on the run and the leaders are not far off. I rush to the turn and park the BMW in the road. Park staff asks me to move the car and I put it onto the running path. Sitting in the car I feel the passenger side lower, I am crushing the path..I move the car back to the road just in time to tell Blake to turn right. I instruct him and all the others to turn left at the T and I did not know if there was anyone there or not.

I get relief from a new aid station that we setup at the corner. This was not a planned aid station, but we are putting people where we need them – then the phone rings.
I am on the phone on a con call with Loves Park Police, Boone County Police, Dept of Natural Resources Police, and NOAA officials…I was asked how do we stop this? I didn’t know. Terror swept over me and I felt warm suddenly – a far cry from the wet shivers I had though the heat was blasting and the seat heaters were on. Loves Park was at the mercy of the word of the woman from NOAA. There was talk about not letting folks head out onto the run course from the bike…but there were already over 200 people on the run course. The woman at NOAA said “this thing is alive, the race is alive. It was born at 7am and it has a life of its own”. She was right, the race had a life of its own. I was told that at the park the worst was over, and that the worst weather was now either north, or 30 miles south of the park – but heading east. The police call in extra folks from Roscoe, Rockton, Winnebago County, Belvidere and the State Police to check the course and look for any accidents or crashes.

I get a call from transition…there are people trying to keep the 40’ tent from blowing away…it is walking terror at the tent. The 52 foot truck has actually moved about 3 feet from the wind. But, I was out on the run course (and what could I do about the tent?). I get to transition area and make my way into the tent, soaked to the bone. It is something out of TV…there are men holding tent posts the one side of the tent whipping in and letting in the rain. Everyone was silent and looking up at the top of the tent. Timing mats took off…the timing company lost three boards of ChampionChips to the wind.

I went in the pouring rain to the bike area, there were many racks that had blown over with bikes on them. I and a helper who I don’t know got the racks back upright and put the bikes back on them. The fencing was blown out, banners were all gone. I saw my bike in a pile of a rack that had blown down…I was glad that the guy I let borrow it had made it to the run course.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Jun 13, 08 3:19
Quote Reply
Re: Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chip, that is totally insane!!!!

(which means it's just another day at the office for you I guess... hahaha! ;-)

Seriously, it is utterly amazing that you held that all together and pulled it off in those epic conditions.
Congrats. Hopefully next year you'll have a perfect day, and you won't know what to do with yourself, everything will go so well.

Mega props to you, all the volunteers, sponsors, and all the racers - that truly was an endurance event.
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding job Chip, sounds like there are so many people to thank for pitching in where needed. And all I had to do was Swim, Bike and Run a little. It surely was a race I will not soon forget.
And I have done many of races that went much worse in perfect conditions.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the flat you changed a tubular or clincher?

Incredible story. I think you do a service to all RDs and racers by posting it as it helps all understand what it takes to stage a race and how things can go bad. Thanks.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is probably my second post on ST, but I raced Rockman this year and I have to say you just did an unbelievable job! As crazy as this was, as scared as I was by getting hit by lightning or crushed by a falling tree, I had a great time!!! Hopefully next year it won't be so crazy. Thanks for all your hard work and to the volunteers that endured the weather and the ones that came out when needed.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ? [niemsco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I must admit that I know why the banners blew away! Mea Culpa ... Chip, what was the excuse for law enforcement not to be on the course where they said they would be since you paid them to be there?
I am amazed that the trailer moved 3 feet, those things are heavy and big, elas, it was not completely full! Given the situation I think you deserve to get the RD of the year award. Great job!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, great read. I never realized how bad it was in the park as I was still out on the bike course when "hell" broke loose. Thanks for going the extra mile for us and please give all of your volunteers and extra thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a fun day at the office ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Chip, great job holding the race together in those conditions.

I was out on the run about mile 2 when all hell broke loose and only had to deal with running in that weather -- big deal. Glad they didn't shut down the park and pull the race. Yeah, some of those volunteers were awesome out there directing us on the run. I remember one girl was shivering so bad, but she was still out there. I thought I even saw you about mile 8-9 directing us into that narrow out and back trail.

I wondered what happened to that first aid station..

That will be one race I will always remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that was me on that trail...quite a day it was.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing, Chip. I had no idea shit was that crazy, that people were abandoning their posts, that the wind was wreaking that much havoc on the transition area, etc. Gives me a completely new respect for race directors, and especially the Rockman race director!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeeez, all these great reviews. I may just have to make the trip down next year! Nice job Chip. I don't envy you at all. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chip.. just think... next year with perfect conditions you'll actually be bored!

Nice work!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that's gnarly! Great job on putting out the little fires (or should it be draining the little puddles?).

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a good read, again.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Rockman - MY race report, part 2 of ? [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Chip.. just think... next year with perfect conditions you'll actually be bored!

Nice work!!
That's actually funny because it's probably true! Personally I like boring ;-)

Quote | Reply
Chip: You looked in the face of complete disaster and beat it into submission. Unbelievable job. And I thought I had it bad having to ride through that storm. All I had was some physical discomfort and a tiny bit of fear of crashing, all tempered by the knowledge that years from now, someone seeing me wear my Rockman 2008 shirt will ask: "Were your really there? Please tell me about it O Godlike triathlete!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya' done good Chip. Well run despite all the bad weather, and a great place to race. I can't believe you managed to handle it all while wearing the giant clown suit though!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Chip. It was pure chaos and still everyone had a great race because of all of your hard work. I was asked to go work the T in the run course when volunteers failed to show up but didn't think it was smart to have a pregnant woman ride out there on a four wheeler so I switched jobs with the guy working the start of the run and got blown all over the place. I had a few thoughts about my safety but then I looked at the tent being pulled to the ground and realized it didn't look a whole heck of a lot safer than standing in the rain and wind. I do have to give one devoted husband props. He stood there through the entire storm waiting for his wife to come through and he must have fixed his umbrella at least 20 times when it blew inside out. No matter how pointless the umbrella he kept fixing it and standing under it although it provided him no protection. His dedication to that umbrella and his wife were astonishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. What else to say? Looking forward to part 3...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, again, great job and great race! When is Rockman 2009? June 7?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet Jesus! I'd never direct a race again after a nightmare like that! Kudos to you Chip!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip
WOW! I did not know the weather was that bad. Great job holding things together for your race.

Entertaining report!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply