Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. (New- side view!)
Quote | Reply
Here is the very first photo I've seen of the 2009 Felt aerodynamic shaped road bike, a trend I think we'll see more of. It isn't a very large photo and it isn't from the side but it does reveal some details of the flowing aero design including very low seat stays which may suggest a wheel cut-out profile as viewed from the side. Also, look at the sculpting on the head tube. I wager Felt had spent some time in the wind tunnel on this design:

Here's a new side view we found on the event website:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Jun 11, 08 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest Tom, we can't make out much from that photo.

It seems that Felt is joining Kestrel and Cervelo in realizing that aero tubing on a road bike at the very least can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been pouring over the Slipstream website to try to find a better profile shot. I wager we'll see plenty of this at the Tour de France.

The trend for aero road bikes has been around for quite a while, but I do know Felt was not going to enter that design fray without something substantially removed from current designs. Their goal wasn't just another "aero" looking bike. They wanted to introduce something that raised the bar. Perhaps this is it... if we could just see the darn thing.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Chain stays? You must have the eyes of a hawk :) I can't see jack in that photo Tom...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here is the very first photo I've seen of the 2009 Felt aerodynamic shaped road bike, a trend I think we'll see more of. It isn't a very large photo and it isn't from the side but it does reveal some details of the flowing aero design including very low chain stays which may suggest a wheel cut-out profile as viewed from the side. Also, look at the sculpting on the head tube. I wager Felt had spent some time in the wind tunnel on this design:

Yup...probably that "AeRoad" bike SuperDave "accidentally" mentioned a few weeks ago...

Let's see more pics! I'm all for "raising the bar!" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, where is you wind tunnel and yaw angle question here? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom, where is you wind tunnel and yaw angle question here? :-)

That comes AFTER the "eyeball wind tunnel" has a chance to look at it first :-)

Seriously, I wouldn't be interested unless whatever it is can be shown to be better than my aluminum Soloist. And by "shown", I mean with hard numbers :-P

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh. Oops. I meant to say seat stays. You're right, obviously I couldn't see the chainstays from that photo. Thanks for noticing- I fixed it in my original post.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am actually not quite sure how you can see the seat stays
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side view added in original post....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting it looks almost like a p3c, type cutout.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that could make me have to start saving up some dough for a new road bike. I'm no sprinter and I like to always finish races in a break so anything to help save watts in a small group or off solo is so important. If only mentally hahaha!!

USA Cycling Cat. 2 Coach!! Yahoo
... ... ... ... ...
http://www.raysracingadventures.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. (New- side view!) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got another pic of the cutout?
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. (New- side view!) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty loch ness monster like.
Need some better pics than this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The trend for aero road bikes has been around for quite a while,
huh?? you must be talking about the new Madone, right??

You can count on one hand the number of readily available aero road frames. There was a time when aero road frames were big back in the mid/late-nineties, but all of those bikes were aluminum and went the way of the dodo when the 'how much does it weigh' craze came into vogue. Deep aluminum wheels went away then, too (think the original Cosmics and Shamals, CXP30s etc).

The trend is definitely about to make a rebound, but it's not there yet.
Last edited by: roady: Jun 11, 08 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't actually think that the seat tube is different to the 2008 models. To me it just looks like the 2-tone paint (black & blue) make it look more P3C'ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [skcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look again, the seat tube is half the width of the '08 road models:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...BERTFRANCAISEDESJEUX

The paint job was inspired (in part) by the Tk1 Sarah Hammer bike which has a similar profile, although the tube shapes themselves are much different as they are designed for a different applications:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...rah_hammer_felttk108

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Last edited by: SuperDave: Jun 12, 08 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The trend for aero road bikes has been around for quite a while
I'll say: both Reynolds and Tange marketed aero-profiled steel tubesets in the early/mid 1980's (inspired by Shimano's forward-thinking Dura-Ace AX group). Mike Melton, Miyata, and 3Rensho were among the frame/bike builders that used the stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Look again, the seat tube is half the width of the '08 road models:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...BERTFRANCAISEDESJEUX

The paint job was inspired (in part) to the Tk1 Sarah Hammer bike which shares many of the same shapes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...rah_hammer_felttk108
So does that mean that the new road frame is best at low yaw angles?
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More! More! You got a good side shot with no rider on it? That thing looks nice....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you forgot the true temper steel aero tubeset with curved seattube that predates the cervelo p3 by what, 10 years?

the seatstays on that tubeset are sexy thin...

I still have a frame made with it...

:D

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you forgot the true temper steel aero tubeset with curved seattube that predates the cervelo p3 by what, 10 years?

the seatstays on that tubeset are sexy thin...

I still have a frame made with it...

:D

g

You're right, I did. That was the ZH2B (Zinn, Hed, Howard, Boone) tubeset, correct?

Man, I can still remember an old issue of Road Bike Action (?) magazine in which they tested a Zinn custom frame built with it, which I absolutely lusted after...come to think of it, it was shiny nailpolish red with white decals, just like the P3C I'm using now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More pics! I fainally believe you. The bottom of the downube is scalloped around the foront wheel like a Felt DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Revealed: New 2009 Felt AERO road bike. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup. that's the one. there is a framebuilder supply house that still has some in stock too...

I have contemplated purchasing a set just to play with...

but other irons in the fire overtake that desire.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they change the geometry form what the f1 is- a12cm headtube on a 54 and 14cm headtube on a 56 is pretty short. At least do it as a compact.
Quote Reply

Prev Next