Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes
Quote | Reply
I am interested to hear what others think about the proposed changes. I am not sure if the details were meant to be shared at this time so I'll let someone who is a little more politically savy post them if appropriate.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
post them ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More changes?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondering if it was 50 pro men and 30 WPRO in previous years in Kona or they cut them?
5 and 8% rule gone - good for girls
one day pro license - 500$ not big help, but hope nobody in WTC will consider Ukraine as a "developed country" and I'll be back racing Ironman again

Hare Krishna
Last edited by: triatma: Jun 25, 10 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a lot more
well since they didn't say anything:

PROFESSIONAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFYING,
PRIZE MONEY & POLICIES

Athlete Comment Distribution Draft
Ironman Professional Athletes
Introduction

WTC is circulating this document to all its pro members. The policies and rules changes stated in this document are not final.

Before announcing a final version of these rules and procedures, WTC will take into consideration all constructive comments from our pro members. Comments must be submitted to promember@ironman.com no later than July 2nd, Tampa USA dateto be considered. Please include your name and pro number on all comments.

WTC intends to publish the final version of these rules and policies on July 9th with the changes having an effective date of September 1st 2010.

These new rules and polices are the product of long-hours of debate and consideration by WTC's pro working committee. The committee concluded that the current pro incentive policies, which have been in place for over 25 years, are outdated and that the new rules and policies are best calculated to achieve these five primary goals:
  • Rewarding the sport's best athletes for their performances
  • Creating income opportunities for new and regional pros
  • Qualifying the most deserving athletes to the World Championships
  • Controlling the number of athletes qualifying for the World Championships to assure fair and exciting racing
  • Creating additional media interest in pro races through points standings and more frequent head-to-head racing

I. WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFYING

Overview and Philosophy/Rationale

The objectives in creating a points based World Championship qualifying system for pros are to assure that the most deserving athletes qualify and to limit the number of athletes in order to assure fair and exciting racing.
Pro Qualifying Program - Kona World Championships

Definitions:
  • "Kona Qualifying" means qualification to the Ford Ironman World Championship held in Kona, Hawaii each year.
  • "Races" means Ironman branded full-distance and Ironman 70.3 events worldwide that are authorized by the World Triathlon Corporation.
  • "Qualifying Year" means the period between September 1st and August 31st.
  • "Kona Pro Rankings" (KPR) means the ranking system to determine pro athlete eligibility to race at Kona.
Effective Sept. 1, 2010, the single-performance slot based system will be discontinued.
Beginning with Races on Sept. 1, pro athletes will earn points for Kona Qualifying correlating to their finish position. The top 50 male and top 30 female pros* in the KPR at the end of each Qualifying Year will qualify to race in Kona. (* The proportion of male to female pros may be adjusted in future years to reflect the then current percentage of registered male and female WTC pro members.)

KPR will be determined as follows:
  • Athletes will be ranked according to the number of points that he or she has accumulated during the Qualifying Year. See the Points Table below.
  • Each athlete's five highest scoring Races will count toward their KPR. All lower scoring Races will be "thrown out".
  • Athletes may accumulate points from any combination of Races PROVIDED that each athlete completes a minimum of one full-distance Ironman race during the Qualifying Year. A maximum of three Ironman 70.3 races are included in an athlete's score.
  • Athletes are not required to do more than one full-distance Ironman race in the Qualifying Year to be ranked. Athletes may score five full-distance Ironman races.
  • Athletes finishing the Ironman World Championship (Kona) race will be awarded points that are retained during the Qualifying Year.
  • Scoring points in Kona DOES NOT fulfill the requirement that each ranked athlete must score in a full-distance Ironman during the Qualifying Year.
  • No points carry forward from one Qualifying Year to the next.
  • The 5% rule is no longer applicable.

Example/Fast Freddy Based on his 5 highest scoring results after September 1, 2010
Race Place Points
2010 IM Kona 2nd 2200
2010 AP 70.3 Championship 1st 1500
2011 $75,000 IM 3rd 780
2011 $50,000 70.3 1st 500
2011 $15,000 70.3 1st ` 250
2011 $50,000 70.3 2nd 440
Total Points 5,230
Example/Steady Eddy Based on his 5 highest scoring results after September 1, 2010
Race Place Points
2010 IM Kona 32nd 150
2010 $25,000 IM 7th 260
2011 $75,000 IM 20th 20
2011 $25,000 IM 7th 260
2011 $25,000 IM 5th 300
2011 $25,000 IM 3rd 390
Total Points 1,120

Automatic Qualifiers - Kona
Past Kona champions will receive an invitation/exemption to enter the pro division in Kona for a period of three years after his or her last championship. Past champions will not be required to qualify during this three-year period. Past champions entering as pros will be required to validate their entry by completing a full-distance Ironman race during the Qualifying Year.
In keeping with the tradition started by Valerie Silk, past champions will continue to have a lifetime invitation to race in their appropriate age group category. Past champions making this election will not be required to qualify or validate their entry. Past champions must abide by all WTC, national and international federations rules regarding professional and age group status and switching between these categories.
Automatic Qualifiers will be accepted into Kona in addition to the 80 available pro slots. If, for example, a returning champion is ranked in the top 30 women, the 31st ranked woman will qualify for Kona.
Entry & Roll-Down
The final KPR will be published as soon as possible after the last Race of the Qualifying Year (end of August) but not later than September 1st. Qualified athletes will have until September 3rd* to complete on-line registration for Kona. An on-line roll-down will be held for any unclaimed slots with entries rolling down to the next highest ranked athlete. Details of the roll-down procedure will be made available at a later date. (* Tampa, Florida USA date)
Wild Card Entries
In 2011 and following transition years, WTC retains the right to award "Wild Card" pro entries into Kona. While Wild Card entries may be awarded at the sole discretion of WTC, these entries, if used, are intended to "fix" any holes in the new qualifying system. Wild Card entries are not intended to provide any athletes relief due to injury, illness or other external factor.
70.3 World Championship Qualifying
Pro qualifying for the 2011 Ironman 70.3 World Championship will be based on a similar format with the primary difference being that full-distance Ironman races will not count in the pro rankings for this Championship. Details will be announced as soon as the 2011 Ironman 70.3 World Championship race date is announced.

II. PRIZE MONEY POLICIES
All Ironman races will comply with these prize money standards (This does not include the two World Championship events which have separate prize standards)
Championship Events
  • Ironman $100,000+ (Paying through 10th Place)
  • 70.3 $75,000+ (Paying through 10th Place)
Including Asia Pacific 70.3, U.S. 70.3, European 70.3 and regional Ironman championships to be announced
Ironman Series Events

Ironman Series events will offer total prize purses in one of two amounts:
  • $25,000 (Paying through 5th Place)
  • $75,000 (Paying through 8th Place)

70.3 Series Events
Ironman 70.3 Series events will offer total prize purses in one of two amounts:
  • $15,000 (Paying through 5th Place)
  • $50,000 (Paying through 8th Place)
Notes:
  • The total amount of 2011 prize money will exceed the total amount of prize money offered in 2010.
  • At minimum 2010 events will pay prize money as advertised.
  • The 8% Rule is no longer applicable.
  • The prize money break-down for each prize purse amount and the 2011 event listing will be provided at a later date.

III. ADDITIONAL POLICY CHANGES
  • A one-day Pro License will be offered to allow local and regional pros to compete at events in areas of the world where there is only one Ironman race such as 70.3 Philippines. A one-day license will be more affordable for these athletes to participate in one event. The suggested one-day fee is $250 USD for 70.3 races and $500 USD for full Ironman races. One-day licenses may be "upgraded" to an annual license with the one-day fee credited toward the annual $750 fee.
  • A Pro membership 'scholarship' program will be available to waive or reduce membership fees for athletes from developing countries who can't afford to pay the membership fee. Local Ironman race directors will recommend deserving athletes.

Hare Krishna
Last edited by: triatma: Jun 25, 10 5:15
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [triatma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are some pretty major changes! It would be interesting to see what the start lists would look like if the KPR system was used for this year's race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these seem like major changes. is there more prize money? there are definitely more regs and I prefer there to be more reward if there are gonna be more regs.

other entertaining points:

"The objectives ... are ... to limit the number of athletes in order to assure fair and exciting racing"

how does that work? I’m a golfer; the best golf events are the Open Championships. bring your clubs and good luck to you. how does having less competitors give you better racing?

"Athletes may accumulate points from any combination of Races PROVIDED that each athlete completes a minimum of one full-distance Ironman race during the Qualifying Year. A maximum of three Ironman 70.3 races are included in an athlete's score ... Athletes finishing the Ironman World Championship (Kona) race will be awarded points that are retained during the Qualifying Year. Scoring points in Kona DOES NOT fulfill the requirement that each ranked athlete must score in a full-distance Ironman during the Qualifying Year. "

big changes here. this means the Craig Alexander types (ha!) will need to do a full distance event. no more saving yourself with 70.3s. it also means the Lieto types will need to do two full events so they can have five scorable events. unless of course they win 2 or 3 70.3s.

I like this. and I wouldn't be surprised if it trickled down to the AGs. it’s the only way to ensure that all the 70.3's' sell out. WTC just needs to count the points.
this will help wealthy slowpokes like me ;-) cause I will never win my AG. but I can afford to come in 10th in five different 70.3s. (HA!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy. If I read that correctly, people like Tim DeBoom and Norman Stadler (past 2x champions) would need to "qualify" for the 2011 race, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [callofthewild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless they enter as AG

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the spirit of the changes is good - but I see some flaws - especially if it were to trickle down to the AG level with the key problems being access to races when you are trying to work a full time job - which while many pros may be working a lot - they are pros.

For the pro side of things - I think it will encourage more competitive racing at the "series" events and will probably result in less pulling of the plugs - but I can see it majorly changing the feel of Kona.

you'll have athletes not knowing it they will make it until just a few weeks prior to the race - I could forsee situations where athletes are having to decide between getting a jump on next year and doing races like IMWI, vs. hoping to get into Kona/Clearwater.

Letting my emotions into it - I think it's a total horseshit change shifting it similar to the ITU type ranking system. Coming from a swimming background I appreciate the cut and dry of show up, lay the smack down and you're in or out for the next stage. None of this - drop an awesome performance - and wait 5 months to see if you get lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [callofthewild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I read that correctly, people like Tim DeBoom and Norman Stadler (past 2x champions) would need to "qualify" for the 2011 race, right?

I think what they are trying to do here is agree that there are different kinds of former champions. Before, they put them all in the same bucket - Dave Scott, Craig Alexander, Peter Reid, or Gordon Haller were all treated the same. If you wanted to race no problem. Now they have put past winners into appropriate groups - which is the correct thing to do. If you won the race in the past 3 years, there is a good chance you can win it again, but if you are Luc Van Lierde, with all due respect, - not so much.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 25, 10 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope the pro community steps up and provides truly constructive feedback to shape this in a mutually beneficial way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see a points system for AGs. Managing a points system for a relatively small set of pros can be done by hand with Excel. Trying to keep track of all age groupers across the world is a whole different story.

Here's a guess on the pro side. If WTC feels there are too many pros at Kona or Clearwater, then its probably tougher to officiate a fair race. So, decrease the number that make it to WCs by implementing a cap, and a points system to get them there. To get points, pros may need to hit more qualifiers, as opposed to getting that slot early in the year, and then being more picky on what races to enter the rest of the year. More pros at each qualifier means more press.

Now that you have a capped set of points pros at one of the WCs, you have a more select group, which is easier to track on course. As an added bonus for Kona, you've now just freed up some spots on the pier for the paying AG slots.

Sounds like a great business plan to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hope the pro community steps up and provides truly constructive feedback to shape this in a mutually beneficial way.

Big Kudos to WTC! They are asking before the rule is released, to their customers, what do they think? And if they have concerns, are willing to listen to constructive inputs. (Getting rid of the 8% rule is a clear example)

So Pro's, here is your chance.

Now, would be nice if WTC would do this for the wetsuit cutoff rule! Sure would offer my input to them to start with the ITU rules, and see if it can handle the IM distance.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another interesting side effect could be loaded fields in events during the first six months of the qualifying period so pros can still execute a proper training block/taper for Kona. You would obviously have some excitement in races down the stretch where there are folks trying to get the required points to qualify, but if I were a pro, I would really front-load my schedule and try to have some great results early on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd likew to know what "problem" is being solved. I can guess, but it would be nice to hear.

And why aren't the two biggest issues in WTC raccing being addressed? The womens race being swamped my AGers and drafting in the AGers.

EDIT: three biggest problems.... Swim deaths.
Last edited by: DrDubs: Jun 25, 10 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I will be in the minority here, but I hope at some point in the future Kona is about the best 2000 triathletes in the world. I personally like the lifetime pro exemption, 3 years is not nearly enough in my opinion. Racing AG is probably not something many of those guys are going to want to do, so it essentially pushes them out of the race. I think that's too bad as there is plenty of room for past champions on the course and in the pro race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This appears to be a way WTC will force more pro's to race THEIR events. You have to get your points in....how will this effect other series trying to beef up their pro purses/status (REV 3)?

They should just call this the Lance Armstrong rule:

In 2011 and following transition years, WTC retains the right to award "Wild Card" pro entries into Kona. While Wild Card entries may be awarded at the sole discretion of WTC, these entries, if used, are intended to "fix" any holes in the new qualifying system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but if you don't make the cut you're out. They are just cutting out a lot of "pros" who probably shouldn't be at the world championship. I think 50 male pros still covers a lot of athletes. its not supposed to be the every pro who is kinda good gets in championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my input...someone like myself who doesn't have a desire to race in Kona unless I would be competitive, I think it's great to limit the field there.

---Money--
Two Prize Purse options at non championship IM's and 70.3's:

*** $50,000 prize purse (more given to men...if they can limit the number of women allowed in kona, they can adjust prize money)
- paid to top 10 men, and top 5-7 women

*** $75,000 (again more money given to the men)
- paid to top 10-12 men and top 7-10 women

---Drug Testing---
GUARANTEED BLOOD AND URINE TEST OF WINNERS at every event...larger events will test top 3 and a random pro, and if you win a race you'll be tested out of competition in the weeks months leading to your next race. The one's winning all the money are the ones who should be tested first and foremost...put a little fear into whomever is winning a race that if they do win they will be blood and urine tested not only immediately after the race, but leading into their next WTC races for a given time period (6 months?) That's where the Out of Competition Pool would come from.

There are more and more races coming up now offering more money, so Ironman eventually will need to step up there payouts so they may as well up it to $50,000 minimum now and pay 10 deep, and stay ahead of the curve. More pros making money is only going to help the sport.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Last edited by: BIGZACH: Jun 25, 10 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there were about 100 male pros registered for Kona last year. So they are cutting the field in half. That also means more space on the pier for AGers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the rules are a huge step forward. For the past two years or so I have proposed a similar ranking system. It should hopefully bring some more excitement to the sport. I would like to see a point system trickle into the AG.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are just cutting out a lot of "pros" who probably shouldn't be at the world championship.

Tell me another sport where pros should be cut out so that we can have more amateurs in the World Championships.
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont see why that would increase competivity at the race.

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Proposed Ironman Pro Rule Changes [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you miss the quotes around pros? Go look at the results from last year and see where 50th male pro place is. Over an hour behind alexander beat by 2 women pros, and in addition beat by multiple male age groupers.

So I have a better question, in what sport do the world championships includes pros that are getting beat by amateurs? Not just some pros over 50 of them got beat by age groupers. So yeah I have no problem putting more age groupers out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next