Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre Race Bathroom Strategies
Quote | Reply
For my last two races I have run into the same problem. On race morning I kinda feel like I'll need to use the bathroom (#2) but I'm not quite ready and then within 5 or so minutes of my wave start, I'm ready. The problem then is the lines are too long and I have to start the race and I have to go through the race not in an optimal gastro intestinal state.

I was thinking that if I took a laxative 2 days before the race, that would allow me to clear the system out the day before the race and as long as I eat smart (low fiber) the day before, I would be in better shape on race day.

I know it's not the nicest subject to discuss but I'm guessing others have had similar experiences and was hoping there might be some strategies that others could suggest.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you not warming up before the race? Going for a jog, stretching, jogging, streching, jogging usually induces some bowl movement.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This works for me. The day before the race, try eating a somewhat bigger than normal lunch and a small dinner. Eat a small dinner at 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. the night before the race. If you wake up and have coffee and breakfast, hopefully you will be okay.

Also, avoid gluten containing foods as they are harder to digest. I do not think a laxative is a good idea at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big, early dinner night before the race (cause you're going to bed early right??)

cup'o joe 3-4 hours before race (cause you woke up bloody early...)

problem solved.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try a glycerol (glycerin?) suppository right before you leave the hotel...will clear everything out in like 2 minutes and shouldn't lead to any cramping or weird abdominal side effects. Try it sometime before the race for a test run... nearly guaranteed to work and you won't have to wait in line at the portapotties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All these suggestions should definitely help you - no laxative - it'll just dehydrate you. You're trading one problem for another.....

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem in the past, but laxatives aren't the answer. They WILL dehydrate you. I use Psyllium Husks. It is a natural fiber that you mix with juice or water the day before and it keeps everything moving very predictably. It is available in the health food section of you grocer or at GNC, etc. I use it everyday now, and haven't had any "stage fright" issues before races. Works very well.

Remember, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, the suppository is a laxative, but it won't dehydrate you because it only works in your rear end. I would be very weary of any oral laxative because they probably WILL dehydrate you, but more importantly you might have to poop all day during the race which is equally terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the key is to be up really early and eat breakfast as quickly as possible. Kick starts the GI system. Drink a cup of coffee then move around. Usually does it for me, but i always need to go a second time before the start. I'm not usually comfortable unless i go twice.

One other trick i use is to not go the night before, even if you kinda could....hold it (if it's a choice). By morning you'll have the sensation of needing to go still, and you can use it to evacuate not only what you needed to get rid of the last night, but also what you had for dinner last night too.
Last edited by: Flak: May 18, 09 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to use my kid's baby potty in the car once before a race. I didn't have the urge until it was too late and the line was too long. Not easy, those things are not designed to be sat on by any one over 25 lbs. Funny story, but not at the time. I emptied it out in the woods, but I still nearly fell over after the race when I opened the door. Not something I'd recommend for every race, but if it happened again, I'd do it again (pun intended).

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Power Bar for breakfast along with a small cup of coffee keep me "regular".......

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the solution was simple: On race day when I wake up, the very first thing I do is drink a big tall glass of water. About 5-10 minutes later, I am ready to clean the pipes. Whatever else you try, do this as well. I believe you will find it helps quite a bit. Try it on training days too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My strategy is to finish dinner before 6:00 PM the night before. Next morning I have a light breakfast at least 2 hours before the race. Usually some fruit maybe a bagel. Then some easy warm up prior to the race usually does it.
Depending upon what's in the surrounding area, my warm up might include a jog to a distant toilet where the line is shorter. If you can entice you self to get the urge soon enough, there's probably an available facility within 5 minute bike ride.

No one's mentioned an enema yet but I would think that would work far better than a laxative if the situation is critical. It would be immediate, effective, and no after effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wake up three hours before your race. Fry up two eggs, over easy. Drink 16 oz of coffee. Pray there's nobody using your bathroom in about 30 minutes. Works like clockwork for me!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember to not drastically change anything in the diet on race day or prior, since the last thing you want to do is interrupt what your body is used to doing....atleast for me..I know my "#2 schedule" so if I am racing I just adjust my wake up time to compensate and everything else is hopefully smooth sailing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i seriously doubt you will be able to effectively change your regularity just on occasional race mornings.

forget the laxative and the plug and the rest of that jazz.

i'm thinking you will be better off taking a little time to adjust your entire schedule in terms of food and fluid intake to get you moving along at the right time every day.

and then of course there will always be those days when plans don't work according to schedule.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great question/concern... nobody wants to swim with someone that soiled their wetsuit! This is and should be the #1 (or #2 if you're looking for the pun) concern before each and every race. Since I just replied to the peeing on the bike thread--I'll offer my 2 cents here, too.

Practice to see what works for you. That's what you must do. It certainly helps if you do morning workouts to get this routine down. I agree with Jim M. that the best route is to change your "schedule" to accommodate racing.

Laxitives are a terrible idea--especially for long distance events.

There are a lot of theories and articles on pre-race nutrition (avoid fiber the day before the race, etc.) that go hand-in-hand with this morning task.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [Rockcandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are something. If I am not home when I gotta go, it's waiting until after the race for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try avoiding fiber within 24 hours of race start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some coffee and a fresh pinch of Skoal Straight and your own your way.

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre Race Bathroom Strategies [pjcampbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You guys are something. If I am not home when I gotta go, it's waiting until after the race for me.
Wow. I probably hit the Biffy about 5 times for pre-race pooping. If I had to hold it from the time I left the house, I'd be in sorry shape.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply