Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Phelps new freestyle technique?
Quote | Reply
So apparently Phelps is making a big change to his freestyle stroke - anyone got any guesses as to what it might be? Maybe he's gonna go all Janet Evans...

http://sports.yahoo.com/...rov=ap&type=lgns
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it says he is moving to the sprints, so I'm not suprised. He gets killed inbetween the walls by a lot of guys in the 100 . Only his trun saves him, and that is in the 200 and up. If he is focusing on the 100, then he is smart to look at what is going on, and try and make a change to increase his inhetween the wall speed. He doesnt need much, but something...I'm guessing it will be in the turnover area...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Increased stroke frequency.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in frequency on his "first stroke" as he claims.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it will be in the turnover area... \\

Increased stroke frequency\\

Is it that great minds think alike, or did you just change the wording and copy one? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in frequency on his "first stroke" as he claims.
freestyle with a dolphin kick.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the fact that we're agreeing is freaking me out ;-)

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And never mind his freestyle stroke, how about his new stroke with Miss CA? Way to go Mikey....
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...I posted that on the LR thread, but I don't know if you saw that. You were busy making a new friend! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually heard it on Howard Stern this morning, they got quite a little chuckle out of it...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While a higher turnover is more likely that's an interesting thought and definitely not 100% out of the question. Apparently Touretski (Popov's coach) used to say that dolphin kick with freestyle was the future of sprint freestyle and he certainly taught Michael Klim to do that the last 10-15m of his races.

My squad used to do dolphin / free as a drill to get us over our catch and called it "speed drill". Most of you would have heard of one of my old training partners, Eamon Sullivan. He still trains with my old coach, as he has done for ~10 years, and is known for his very high turnover. Not sure if they still do that drill...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [moulli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He sure makes it seem as if it's something radical like that. It'll be pretty disappointing if it turns out that he is going to breathe on his left side, instead of his right side... lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phelps has a super flexible back which is one of the reason he's so good at dolphin kick (super flexible everything else also helps).

It's highly unlikely but would be awesome to see him bust out something completely new like dolphin kick free. If anyone can reinvent swimming, he can.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [moulli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt the dolphin kick will be introduced as this may antagonize his back problems. As for changes, it was clear he would move away from IM's in try to dominate the shorter evens, mainly the 200 f/s. Coming from a distance past with the ability to sprint, I would imagine that the "limp" may go and a stronger more consistant kick will play a part. If anything, a longer more powerful stroke.

Kinda makes me think of Nick Faldo. He was good, spent a year redefining his swing, then won 6 majors.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet he has a faster stroke rate, along with a straight arm style. This is all a result of what one can do in the new suits. The paradigm is a changing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He sure makes it seem as if it's something radical like that. It'll be pretty disappointing if it turns out that he is going to breathe on his left side, instead of his right side... lol
lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet that he's learning how to turn left.....

no wait, that was someone else.....
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Toenail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnum...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I bet he has a faster stroke rate, along with a straight arm style. This is all a result of what one can do in the new suits. The paradigm is a changing!
What? Please explain, I don't understand how a new suit could change one's mechanics. If a new technique made you faster, I would think it would make you faster if you were wearing a drag suit or a race suit.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Magnum...
Heard it looks the same as Blue Steel

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome then at 18 strokes for 25 yards I feel ahead of the game!!! J/K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing i can think of is that hell switch to an entirely rotary freestyle.

rotary freestyle just is so inefficient though. i cant imagine swimming like that for more than a 100. phelps has been using a combination of front quandrant swimming for his breathing and rotary when hes not, hence that asymmetry in his stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is on breathing 3 of every 4 strokes and snorting liquid oxygen.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new suits have changes the way one is able to swim while wearing one. The legs come up on their own. Body position is altered (compared to no new fangled suit) and new ways of swimming fast are happening because of it.
It's similar in some ways to the way many swim different, and faster, while wearing a wetsuit vs. not. Body position, and how we eliminate bad drag, are elements that are game changers.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps new freestyle technique? [00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And come out on the pool deck wearing red, white, and blue boxing gear? :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next