Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness
Quote | Reply
since wetsuit manufactures are going to modify suits with more and more flotation, what are you going to do to keep up with the competition?

just think of it as adding a water bottle between the aerobars or taping vents on a helmet.

some cheap mods to keep up with emillio's suit:

-step one: buy dense foam, shave it into panels then cover it with neoprene.

-step 2: repeat until you achieve desired results.
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh, shades of trailing styrofoam chips behind swimmers in the mid-eighties...

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was kind of thinking the same thing: is this new suit and no regulations about suit thickness going to open some floodgates? things could get pretty silly pretty quick. i mean, if there really are no regulations, why stop at 10mm? you could essentially build a paddleboard into the front of a suit and skim along the top of the water, right? and if no one says "no" to it, why wouldn't a manufacturer make it? hell, someone would buy it!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [ironcouple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all the deaths in the swim this year, I think it sends a very bad message. These are no longer designed to keep you from getting hypothermia but life vests.
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [ironcouple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, why stop at 10mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess you have not read Emilio's post as to why he stopped at 10.

I just smile when the swimmers complain about swimming technology, but biking technology is okay. :o)

Bottom line, if you cannot swim, a wetsuit is not going to help you that much. As I said, if it did, why do not all
the racers swim 22 minutes in an Oly distance with a wetsuit?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the front page article and I thought of over heating. I once did a shallow scuba dive in a 7mm suit in warmer water (72 F) with heavy currents to fight and over heated. Just a thought that it could be a potential problem under the right circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I read the front page article and I thought of over heating. I once did a shallow scuba dive in a 7mm suit in warmer water (72 F) with heavy currents to fight and over heated. Just a thought that it could be a potential problem under the right circumstances.

Yeah, thats the exact reason why i will be keeping my T1 and speedtube, i cook over 74-76 degreee olympic, so i'll use the speed tube. Ill have to figure out what temp i can handle in the water rover, and well i need the other one for worlds anyways so i have to keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say let's just let crappy swimmers just lay on a raft and paddle with their arms!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: runningfoo: Sep 29, 09 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bike technology eliminates the drag the bike produces, not the rider which is 80-85pct of the total drag.

the wetsuit thickness is absurd. its like roller blading instead of running.

i can swim a sub 18 1500 without a wetsuit, and a good wetsuit does help me. i pissed the 22min swimmers are now 20 mins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, you are the 1% who are pissed. You really think the rules will change for 1% of the folks.
This sport is just for fun, not life or death.
Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This sport is just for fun, not life or death."

Take that back immediately!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually before aero frames and deep section wheels there were aero bars and aero helmets. These do nothing for the bike but plenty for the rider. In fact aero bars are the number reducer of drag. Steep angled bikes let you get in the aero bars easier.

But yes aero forks, frames and wheel do streamline the bike which can make up for a weak cyclist.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would prefer if they capped things at 5 mm. In fact, I would prefer if they capped it at 4mm since that provides plenty of warmth (and I get cold easily).

However, if there are no limits, I want the most buoyant suit available on the market, cause if not, I am at a disadvantage to other athletes with more buoyant suits. As it stands there are already suits in the market that you can measure to have panels in excess of 5mm. Rather than beat on Emilio, let's beat on every suit that is 5.1 mm thick (or more) too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be totally wrong, but I bet that the rules do change.

Back in 89 or 90 or close to that, Wavelength wetsuits made a pair of wetsuit pants (like the speedtube only 15+ years earlier), and a rule was made against those. Probably b/c they were being worn in non wetsuit swims.

So, I would be that 'if' the ITU rule is 5mm, then USAT follows 'suit' and makes the rule 5mm.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now come on, have folks look at all the suits over 5, but again who cares, the rules are the rules. If you do not like the rules, try to get them changed.
But do you think any group is going to listen to 1% of their customers?

Dave

Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 29, 09 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are trying to say USAT rules should be ITU rules, lets see, how about why the wetsuit cutoff at Worlds
was 22c. Are you telling me USAT is going to lower their cutoff temp?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's only a matter of time before your "USAT" applies a rule. Isn't that the reason why this thing is taking off (and in the US only)? Most feds around the world do indeed have a thickness limit (5mm), or at least mine does...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it's only a matter of time before your "USAT" applies a rule. Isn't that the reason why this thing is taking off (and in the US only)? Most feds around the world do indeed have a thickness limit (5mm), or at least mine does...

In addition to more reasonable cutoff temps.

Shane
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its one thing to have a rule. Another thing to actually apply it. We have the same 5 mm rule in Canada, but plenty of guys using suits that already violate the limit.

What we need is a rule and enforcement....somewhat like being allowed to use certified aerolids only or you get DQ'd. Your suit is either on the 5mm certified list or not. If it is not on the list, you are DQd. Until then, give me a thick suit cause I don't really want to give away time to the competition some of whom are already using cheater suits.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, who has the list, or can a list be started, that are already over 5. Then, how many folks cheat with these already?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But do you think any group is going to listen to 1% of their customers?

Any good company will listen to the requests and complaints from its customer base, no matter how minor.

Quote Reply
Re: No Wetsuit Thickness Ridiculousness [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I could be totally wrong, but I bet that the rules do change.

Back in 89 or 90 or close to that, Wavelength wetsuits made a pair of wetsuit pants (like the speedtube only 15+ years earlier), and a rule was made against those. Probably b/c they were being worn in non wetsuit swims.

So, I would be that 'if' the ITU rule is 5mm, then USAT follows 'suit' and makes the rule 5mm.
I haven't yet drafted something to send to the AAC, and I don't really care what happens with this in general, but I do care for pro racing.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next