Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower back pain ... please help me figure what it is
Quote | Reply
I developed some lower back pain this Monday and I'm not quite sure what caused it.

This weekend I biked my usually hilly 60 miles and ran 7 afterwards, sunday I went for a short 30 minute swim. My bike position has not changed a bit, nor my bike/running form.

The pain is in the lower back. It is a dull pain, which intensifies when I lean forward. It's not a sharp pain but seems to spread through the lower parts of my back. Sitting in a chair, I can feel it. I leaned over the sink to brush my teeth last night and the pain acted up. Not sure how else to describe it.

I stretch after every workout, but not as much as I would like. I sleep curled up, which is a bad habit I'm trying to change.

Any idea what it might be? I plan to see a doctor but want to hear your opinions on what I could expect.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain ... please help me figure what it is [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be a lot of things, from a mild strain to something more serious. Can't possibly give a diagnosis over the net. If it persists and your doc doesn't offer a solution consider seeing a chiropractor.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain ... please help me figure what it is [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way tell. I had a similar problem over the last two months. Just flaired up in lower back to the point of spasms. Still not right. Not sure what caused it.

Ice every two hours for 20 minutes with an acute type of injury. Don't use heat. Take a NSAID like Noprexin (sp?).

Go see a ortho. They will do a simple xray to verify the spine is okay. Inflamation of the muscles can not be determined with an xray.

I went to a chiro and in my opinion that was worthless and did nothing to treat my muscle injury. Massage seems more effective. Started doing more core work.

Take it easy but keep moving.

Backs are frustrating and there are a million different treatments and opinions.

Find a good sport ortho doctor, a good PT and massage therapist if it continues, and maybe a chiro. I know other people that swear by their chiro. Spoke to an old friend this week and he has been battling muscle problems in his back for 1.5 years. He is starting to have success with a rolfer.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain ... please help me figure what it is [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Just when I thought I was injury free after seeing my chiro for a knee issue, now I have a back issue. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Lower back pain ... please help me figure what it is [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your ortho figure out the cause of the back pain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I share your pain, literally.

For my recent back woes I've been to an MD, Sports MD, physio, massage & chiro. The MD's were next to useless other than ording the x-ray. The massage helped with the symptoms. The chiro & the physio were the best in assement & coming up with a treatment plan. Normally chiro & physio are at odds with one another, but the two I see are out of the same facility (Dearborn Performance Centre).

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the frustrating thing but I did do some stupid things two weeks before IMCDA. I raced a half and rose my seat about 2-3mm to compensate for a thin pad. The next weekend I did a long ride in bike shorts and didn't lower my seat. Felt okay on the ride but I did pull my calf some on a small roller. The second stupid thing I did the next day was my longest swim of the year in a wetsuit. The wetsuit seems to compress my lower back. The third stupid trick was to run 5 miles in a pair of lighter/older shoes that I was thinking of using at IMCDA. One or all three of these things led to a tight back and within two days I was the floor unable to move.

The problem now, two month later, is things are not moving correctly and I feel like I'm losing power on the bike and running like a very old man. I did do a 1/2 Ironman this past weekend, survived, but my time was below normal given the course.

I have been stretching and a little core work but I feel I need to get aggressive with my therapy. I bought the book Core Performance, getting some massage and plan to get one a week for the next month. I go back to the ortho next week but I feel she is somewhat useless when it comes to treating my current symptoms. After the ortho visit, I plan to visit with a good sport PT for an evaluation and thoughts.

One other thing, the ortho said from the xray I have some arthritis in L5-S1 and the combination of this with a back sprain led to the spasms. Another doc friend said the little arthritis at my age (46) is normal for someone who has been racing for 20 years and should not effect me. The ortho said, long-term, I should cut back on my running, which I'm not willing to consider at this point of my life.

Good luck, don't get frustrated, and keep trying various treatments until you find something that works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with some of the others, possible sprain/strain. Nothing to be too concerned about unless it progresses. Take the stretching route, but if it doesn't resolve in about two weeks, consider a chiro.

Good Luck.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your back issues. I too share your pain (which started for me three days after riding a very hilly 70 and then running 16 the next day). Like you, I was in enormous amount of pain, couldn't sit, couldn't run, couldn't do anything.

I first tried a masseuse, which loosened my IT bands and hamstrings a bit, then tried the chiropractor for about 2 mos., which helped straighten me out a bit. (I have also gone to a surgeon, gotten an MRI (and was diagnosed with a herniated disc - L4/L5) and had a cortisone shot). Also, I got a desk to stand up at work (I removed the office chair from my office), which, since sitting hurts, is great. But, the best thing was the go to a trainer that is helping to fix the reasons why things were messed up in the first place. The trainer and I do stretches and various other things to strengthen my core and stretch my hamstrings and IT bands, both of which are tight from years of running.

Now, I can sit for 20-30 minutes (with a lumbar pad) and can bike as much as I want (240 miles last week). I am back to running 2x/wk and do the lifting/stretching/core stuff 3x/wk.

Big picture, though, I agree with most others, keep trying things until something works. i get really frustrated with people telling me to go to "their chiropractor" or "their doctor." keep looking and trying things until you find what works.

good luck.
Quote Reply