Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Shoe Count
Quote | Reply
Just saw this information on TriTalk site.

"For many years, there has been a regular bike count at the Ford Ironman World Championships, which brands use to track their progress in sales/market share terms, for both marketing purposes, and as a measure of their acceptance - or not - with the athletic population at which they are aimed.
This year there was an additional count - shoes - carried out by Newton Japan (www.newtonrunning.com), and the results have been provided as an exclusive to Tri247. The guys and girls from Newton counted the first 1000 shoes across the line in Kona, and the results were:
Asics 25.2%
Saucony 11.4%
Newton 11.1%
Brooks 10.1%
Zoot 6.8%
Mizuno 6.6%
Adidas 5.2%
K-Swiss 4.3% (virtually all were pro athletes...)
New Balance 4%
Avia 1.7% "

Source: http://www.tri247.com/article_6013.html
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [Kagemusha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike - 0%? Wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [dlp3719] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's what I was about to write, hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That still leaves some 20% as others not listed. I can't believe Nike isn't on there either.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [dlp3719] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike 0%

That is interesting as they do make good run shoes.

wore them for the first 2-3 years when I did alot of running back in 1988-1991. Changed to Ascics in 1992 because the Nike's were too bulky and the sole air pockets would break and have never bought another pair of them. Do buy and use the odd pair of brooks when I can get them but didn't find their stand here in Kona.
Am still running 3 times a week and heading out in Kona now for a training session.

I think once a brand dissapoints a customer it is hard to get them back again, especially if they market/price themselves as the premium brand.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Oct 12, 09 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With such a low percentage of k-swiss represented (especially by non-pros), it makes you wonder where the cutoff is between performance and marketing. Ultimately, a pro will run in a shoe that works for them, but if they are flexible with their preference a solid sponsorship could tip the balance. I ran in the new racing flats at IMLP, and I thought they were a phenomenal shoe for 13.1 or lower. I was expecting a greater presence of their midweight models among the AGers. I'm not one to speak .... I'm an Asics runner.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Missing 13.6%???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has to be an oversight there--I'm sure Nike is supposed to be in that list. I remember reading that they were among the top three or four most common in past years. Plus, if you add up the percentages, there's about 15% missing. I bet they're somewhere above Zoot...
Last edited by: FoCoRunner: Oct 12, 09 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Asics 25.2%
Saucony 11.4%
Newton 11.1%
Brooks 10.1%
Zoot 6.8%
Mizuno 6.6%
Adidas 5.2%
K-Swiss 4.3% (virtually all were pro athletes...)
New Balance 4%
Avia 1.7% "
Well here is what Zoot counted as shown here http://triathlon.competitor.com/...softgoods-count_5253

Asics 449
Saucony 169
Nike 159
Newton 146
Mizuno 118
Brooks 111
Zoot 101
Adidas 85
K Swiss 70
New Balance 61
Avia 27
Puma 10
Scott 10
Pearl 5
Other 17

Convenient that magically Newton is top 3 in the Newton done survey.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a risk here since I work for Zoot. It does seem impossible that there wasn't a Nike shoe in the first 1000. I'm guessing you could count a percentage for Nike Lunar alone. 12 years of Road Runner Sports knowledge tells me this. 13.6% left as other is too much. Especially when that accounts for more than most of the brands listed. Throw Scott, Pearl Izumi, Diadora, and Karhu and we won't make up 13%.
I'm not sure who did this shoe count. I do know there was a group of 3 people from different brands conducting a shoe count. I don't think this is that count.

Dave Jewell
Zoot Footwear

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems like a better count. Not because it was sponsored by Zoot but because it seams a bit closer to the Market. Asics is happy because they grew to 29% in this count but that's reality right now. Nike is happy too because they got counted here.

I will say again this count was done by three people from three brands, Zoot being one of them.

What a race. Legendary!

Dave Jewell
Zoot Footwear

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if by virtually all were pro athletes (kswiss) you meant 13 out of 70 then you would be accurate. kswiss had 13 pros in the race and the remaining 53 were age groupers. also, Kswiss has only been in kona for 2 years and most of 70 have purchased those shoes recently (many were purchased and raced in this week) and were confident enough to race in them. kswiss has just been available at retail for less than a year so 70 is pretty good. congratulations to all the brands that had a presence in the toughest single day event in the world. these are the best and most discerning athletes in the world and kswiss is very proud of being chosen by these athletes. im sure that the other brands would say the same. congratulations to all the athletes who competed, the race was amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With such a low percentage of k-swiss represented (especially by non-pros), it makes you wonder where the cutoff is between performance and marketing. Ultimately, a pro will run in a shoe that works for them, but if they are flexible with their preference a solid sponsorship could tip the balance. I ran in the new racing flats at IMLP, and I thought they were a phenomenal shoe for 13.1 or lower. I was expecting a greater presence of their midweight models among the AGers. I'm not one to speak .... I'm an Asics runner.

Not sure what model you're actually referring to but I will definitely be wearing a pair of K-Onas at IMAZ. I've been researching shoes for the last year and I'm convinced the K-Onas are the best I've found so far.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike HAS to be there. I know of at LEAST two pro athletes who finished top 1000 that wear Nike. Wait, three! Cam Brown!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [iSwaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i left the st racer in the suitcase after i was reminded? that i should look for a shoe with drainage...bought kona s 3 days before race,,,worked perfect..always try something new on race day
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't really find K Swiss in stores. Thats why there are not bigger. Most AG will run in what is at their local run/tri store.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [iSwaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Nike HAS to be there. I know of at LEAST two pro athletes who finished top 1000 that wear Nike. Wait, three! Cam Brown!"

It's always nice to see the pros finish in the top 1000.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They actually finished top25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in Brooks. KSwiss had by far the largest presence at the race (being a title sponsor), Asics and Saucony were all over the shops on Ali'i Brooks and Nike had little to no presence for corporate branding going on. However I did feel like most people walking around prior to the race wore Zoot, Newton or Nike Free/Lunar. Brooks grabbed a great win from Chrissie.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoot? Oh no....did you jump ship?

I'd like to see this same type of data for any marathon, esp the top 100 finishers. My armchair thought is that Adidas would be the highest %.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One interesting thing I noticed is that Macca did not run in Underarmour shoes. He was rolling asics... anyone know why?

Chrissie wins in Brooks T6's, I love these shoes. I wish they would make them with stronger meshing and a polyurethane sole. Mine self destructed at about 500 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't 500 miles an assload of miles from a pair of shoes?...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't exactly say I jumped ship. adidas rules, built on heritage that nobody and I mean nobody in the sporting industry can match. I will always be a fan of that brand and especially the adizero footwear. It's beautiful stuff. By the way the Spanish Girl who finished 3rd was sporting the adizero Kona.
As for moving to Zoot I couldn't be happier. Who wouldn't want to be on the ground floor of something special. There is no real history that says you have to do "this" with a shoe. We get to shape it. When I say we I mean you and me,and everyone else on this Forum literally. It should be a very fun ride.

Dave Jewell
Zoot Footwear

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Shoe Count [legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Isn't 500 miles an assload of miles from a pair of shoes?...
That is exactly what the shoe companies would like you to believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The running shoes of the top 15 males in Kona:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...hoes_-_men_1085.html

And the same for the top 15 females:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...es_-_women_1082.html

Herbert
Quote Reply

Prev Next