Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy?
Quote | Reply

Is the Woodlands race going to happen? I just received the email below.

- Stopped Clock

Dear Triathlon One O One - The Woodlands Participant,

Over the last several months, the Triathlon One O One staff has been working diligently to secure the final course layouts as well as the required permits in order to execute this event on November 11th, 2007 in The Woodlands, Texas. At this point it is becoming very clear after working closely with the various entities in the local area that it is going to be next to impossible to put on this event in The Woodlands venue.

For the last ten days, Triathlon One O One has been working feverishly to secure an alternative venue in the Houston area. Once this is complete, we will notify all the participants, partners and sponsors of the venue change and what the new course layouts will be moving forward for this 2007 event.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter,

Sincerely,
Triathlon One O One Staff
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the same e-mail. It sounds to me like the race will happen in the Houston area, but not at "The Woodlands". Fingers crossed!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so frustrating..I hope they let us know soon!! That Bahama's race is looking better by the minute!!

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Houston is big and all, but I'm doubting their ability to set up a race of this size anywhere else around with this little time. We already have a lot of races around here, but most are just sprints because it is hard enough to find the space to do that. We only have 1 olympic in the area (I guess 2 if you count Galveston). Our two half ironmans are in Galveston and Montgomery (north of the Woodlands).

This is VERY unfortunate. Good thing I'm doing the half ironman 2 weeks before in Montgomery. It is a great race if you all want to come do that instead!!

Quote | Reply
This isn't good news. I don't really care where they put the race on. I just want to race. I'm glad I haven't booked my airline ticket and that I only reserved my hotel and didn't pay for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as they put on the race somewhere in the Houston area, then I'll be happy. If they don't, then I would think no one is going to ever want to sign up for their races ahead of time ever again. I can understand them cancelling one race out of the series (Halifax) given that's it's the first year, but if they cancel this one too, then that's pretty bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the problem here is with the city of The Woodlands, not with the Tri 101 people. It is unfortunate though that they will get the bad wrap no matter what because of Halifax being cancelled as well. I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to sign up again.

Quote | Reply
What a shame - this seemed like such a good idea when they announced the series last December; I'm actually thinking the 50.5 distance is a better distance and would draw more people anyway. Maybe 101 should re-think this and try to put on a few good races at a distance between 1/2 and Olympic where there is probably a greater market. At this point, who is going to commit to the training necessary to prepare for a long course race when they have cancelled the last 2 and have not yet announced next season's races? From having raced their events, I know the company puts on great races - maybe 101 was too ambitious and some nice mid-distance races would work better. If they had the races be a qualifier for a race in a really nice location, maybe they could even work as a series.

One of the reasons I did not sign up for an IM this year, but signed up for Halifax when it was first announced is because I love long training, but I do not think a full-distance IM is healthy - its just a bit too far and messes me up for too long afterwards. When they cancelled the Halifax race, I shifted focus in the summer and did 4 Olympic distance races instead. I had a fantastic time doing the Olympic distance races and I feel healthier and faster than I ever have before. Another three miles tacked on to the runs at the end of the Olympic-distance races would have been nice, however. 101 will probably never be able to compete with IM, but 50.5 could probably compete with 70.3, especially if the qualifier was someplace nicer and less flat and traffic-clogged than Clearwater, but not too expensive or difficult to get too and have the race be in the spring when everyone is itching to race, but not in good enough shape to go real long (Carribean in March? Mexican resort town?)
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Code:
Apparently the problem here is with the city of The Woodlands, not with the Tri 101 people

I understand that the The Woodlands is at the root of the problem. At the end of the day though, if a race organizer is taking my money and holding it for 3/4/5 months I'm expecting, in the absence of an act of god, to race on that day. If an organizer doesn't know if they're going to have a race, then don't take my money. The buck stops at the organizer. I mean really, I could have given my money to Silverman, or just kept it in my savings account.

It's unfortunate that Tri One O One is having these problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UCSD held a race in San Diego for the first time this year. The first thing we did before any advertising was to design the course to a) meet USAT requirements and to b) fit within the county of San Diego's race permit guidelines. After going to the county offices numerous times and finally coming to some kind of agreement on where the swim would be, road closures etc., we then put our race up on Active.com and made it official.

We too ran into difficulties after we got our permits approved in San Diego. Out-of-the-blue they told us that we could not swim where we had originally intended because it was an unmarked boating zone - three weeks before the race! This required us to move our transition area to a place that would make for an athlete cross over - illegal by USAT. So a slew of problems were caused by one official's failure to inform us of a non-swim zone.

The funny thing is that USAT never asks for proof of city permits - something I think should be a crucial part of certifying a race. They ask for a race diagram and check for athlete crossovers. Whether the course is actually viable is not in their interest.

Having signed up for the 101 race, I'm ambivalent over who's really at fault - and if it's canceled will I get my $$$ back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it me or is this the beginning of the end?.I hope not I was really looking forward to Halifax 2008,great location.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [Dr.Wu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'd go as far as to say its the beginning of the end. Although all things must end so there must be a beginning to it's eventual end...I'm getting off track.

But they've got at least two races lined up for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The email they sent about Woodlands 101 is interesting in what they don't say. For example, they don't say that they are confident that the race will happen in some form. They just that they are working on finding a new course. The tone of the message leaves me with the impression that cancellation is a significant possibility.

I did the Conroe Texas half-IM in late October the last 2 years, and really liked that race. I entered the 101 to try something different, but am now regretting that decision. If I could get my entry fee back today, I would enter the Conroe half-IM in a minute. I'd hate to skip Conroe, and then find out at the last minute that the 101 is cancelled.

- Stopped Clock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who already got burned by having Halifax canceled on me this year, and who had my entry transferred to the Woodlands race, I will be royally cheesed if it in fact doesn't run. Dammit. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm cursed. ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silverman is the same weekend? Cool. I'm training long and by God I'm going long this November. 101 has two weeks to get their act together and then my money and travel $'s go to Nevada.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always return to the scene of the crime in Grand Coulee, you'd just have to move up your time table.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha ha! I did think of that but the schedule doesnt work out with some other things. :)

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue on the specifics but have worked with The Woodlands Operating Company in prior jobs. They are difficult to say the least. The Woodlands (city) is basically in it's purest sense a city developed, owned, and operated by a private company. They have all the power and decision making ability, the residents have very little say in what goes on, it's not your typical "any burb town USA" place with elected officials, etc. I wouldn't put it past them to completely approve the event and a few months later change their minds. And their contracts are usually executed in a way that they maintain that power.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [my2cents] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your point is well taken, but...

I recall the Bradenton race having a lot of issues due to course changes, getting city approvals, and permitting, but the race happened. I don't know anything about the Woodlands, but I do know the political arena in Manatee County is not easy to deal with either, and the local group seemed to get the job done. The Woodlands dilemma is seemingly more perplexing because Tri 101 will have had 11 months to get the job done. The Series was announced back in December. Isn't it odd organizers were able to pull off the FL and Clear Lake races with a much shorter perparation window?

Also, why no updates on the Tri 101 website? A friend registered for the race forwarded the e-mail that 101 sent to participants, but I could not find any reference to the problems anywhere on the website. Lookijng further, not a whole lot has been added to the website since Clear Lake. Seems a little fishy to me. I'd be very, very skeptical.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [flclyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but if they advertised problems on their website then more people wouldn't sign up for the race. My guess is they will offer transfers into their future races but no refunds.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [austintriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what you're saying is that being upfront & honest with your clientele isn't necessary for 101 or the sport of triathlon. I can't buy that. Makes the sport look shaky, and certainly casts an unwarranted air of suspicion over race directors and promotional companies as a whole. Agree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been second guessing going to Clearwater instead of the 101...........glad I took my slot now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Crap:
http://www.trioneoone.com

All Triathlon One O One events have been cancelled until further notice.

All participant entry fees and 2008 transfers will be refunded within the next two weeks.

Thank you!
Last edited by: camy: Aug 23, 07 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [camy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess that just about settles it. It is decent of them to refund the entry fees. I think it is just about time to remove the "101 forum" from Slowtwitch.

101, we hardly knew you.

http://www.trioneoone.com

- Stopped Clock
Quote Reply
Re: Is 101 Woodlands in jeopardy? [camy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible news. I hope Slowman can shed some light on what has happened.
Quote Reply

Prev Next