Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman distance = Ironman?
Quote | Reply
I was reading the Ironman article in Wikipedia and came across this line...
"In the triathlon community an Ironman is someone who has completed a race of the appropriate distance, whether or not it falls under the aegis of WTC."

Is it true that if you complete and Ironman distance race, you are considered an Ironman?
I always thought you had to complete an Ironman to be considered an Ironman.

I know this is semantics, but was interesting to read this.
I am not trying to take away any accomplishment of anybody.
If you complete an ironman distance race, than, in my book, you are pretty impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [slmcknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get off your knees... WTC doesn't need anymore money...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have completed an Iron distance race, you are an IronMan in my opinion.

I only apply my own pedantry to myself.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you have completed an Iron distance race, you are an IronMan in my opinion.

I only apply my own pedantry to myself.

-Jot
How many days can I take to do it? ;-) I suppose I am a Deca-TriFecta Ironman!!!! Sweet ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Get off your knees... WTC doesn't need anymore money...
Wow...such a visceral reaction to a question.
I didn't say it was right or wrong, or that someone should/shouldn't be called an Ironman.
I was asking a question.

Do you need to go see a therapist to work out your anger issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many days can I take to do it? ;-) I suppose I am a Deca-TriFecta Ironman!!!! Sweet ;-)

Depends on how blatantly you draft. ;)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better yet, if you did an iron distance but not a "official" ironman, are you "entitled" to wear/purchase m-dot gear/tattoos?
BTW, I don't call myself an ironman, I'm still some where around aluminumman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can still get the Tattoo...I know a guy who has a GIANT one...yet has never done any Tri of any length.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the most interesting point of divergence in the sport of triathlon was when the world Ironman was trademarked to refer to the race owned by what is now the WTC. I always wonder how the sport would have evolved, potentially very differently( think about it) had it been like in running where the word "marathon" is not trade marked and is used by everyone to refer to the longest running race in the Olympic Games.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You hate red M's...I bet you never at the red M&M's.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have completed an Iron distance event within the time limits for that event then you are an Ironman distance finisher and if it really important to you then you can try to impress everyone by tagging yourself as "än Ironman".

If you are a surf lifesaver and you compete in an event consisting of the board,ski and swim with run transitions then you can also call yourself and Ironman.

Chances are you will spend waaaaaay less money and get laid waaay more often if you are a surf Ironman.

PS.If you haven't finished an M-Dot race then don't wear the M-Dot finishers stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what one man can do another can do better and thus, the Real Ironman. i'll be happy as hell just to complete the distance but aching for the real thing, i'm sure.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it's only until recently that the word Ironman has become so associated w/ a trademark & not a distance. When asked what was my 1st Ironman, I say Great Floridian. At that time back in the 90's, there were no WTC Iron-distance events in the continental US (GFT & Vineman were the only 140.6 mi races - IIRC), w/ IMC the only one in North America.

Building on what Fleck said, I like to use this as an example....

Let's say that starting in 2010, BAA trademarks the word Marathon, & as such, no other 26.2mi running race on the planet can use that term. Fast fwd to November, John Doe & 35,000 people converge on NYC to run the New York Distance Classic. This is John's 1st time running the distance, has a solid race & qualifies for Boston.

A few weeks later someone at work asks if he has ever run a marathon & what do you think he says?

My point is, I personally have no problem differentiating between IMF, LP, CdA, etc.... & GFT, B2B, Vineman, etc... BUT, when someone asks what is a good Ironman, in my mind I associate the distance & not whether or not WTC is involved.

Just my $.02.
---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you could do 'Challenge Roth' and then say I have done the old 'Ironman Germany' race. Roth was great this year and it went well.

You could do an iron-distance training session on any course the day before or after the race. Will let you know when I do it. WTC doesn't own the roads or Sea even though it seems somedays they would like to!

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Brian Shea said. Just because the WTC trademarks the word "Ironman", doesn't mean you aren't one if you do a non-WTC Iron distance event. Wear the name with pride!

Coach Pete from Joe Gold Endurance
coachjoegold@gmail.com
2010 Vermont 100 Ultramarathon: 28:09:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you an Ironman if you have not completed the original course on Oahu?

Are you a marathoner if your 26.2 miles didn't end in Athens?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you an Ironman if you have not completed the original course on Oahu?

Are you a marathoner if your 26.2 miles didn't end in Athens?
For the 26.2 miles don't you mean Windsor Castle to White City stadium?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Last edited by: TheDC: Nov 16, 09 5:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have some self respect. YOU are not "an Ironman" no matter where you race. You're just you, and we all love you no matter what. No need to tell people "what you are" and no need to identify with a race distance.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I see it:

Ironman is a corporation. So is McDonalds.

You can take some beef patties, some seasame buns, pickles, and Thousand Island mixed with mayonaise and build yourself a hamburger that pretty much resembles a Big Mac. Might even tastier than what you can get at McDonalds.

Did you eat a hamburger? Yes.

Did you eat a Big Mac? No.

In my opinion, Ironman is being mis-applied as a generic term for the distance. Kind of like calling every burger you eat a McDonalds, every tissue you use a Kleenex, or every photocopy you make a Xerox.

I think the appriopiate term would be "Long Distance Triathlon" or maybe "Ultra Distance Triathlon".

So the question is, if you do the 2.4/112/26.2, do you call yourself an Ironman? My answer would be no, because that would be like saying "I made myself a Big Mac" without going to McDonalds.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just sad.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you get the tattoo you are an ironman

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess if you enjoy being a corporate whore you can think like that

I wouldn't tell anyone who completed, say, Norseman that they aren't an ironman.

they will probably eat you

In Reply To:
I was reading the Ironman article in Wikipedia and came across this line...
"In the triathlon community an Ironman is someone who has completed a race of the appropriate distance, whether or not it falls under the aegis of WTC."

Is it true that if you complete and Ironman distance race, you are considered an Ironman?

I know this is semantics, but was interesting to read this.
I am not trying to take away any accomplishment of anybody.
If you complete an ironman distance race, than, in my book, you are pretty impressive.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

if you get the tattoo you are an ironman

Of course the issue is getting further blurred by the fact that people who are doing IRONMAN 70.3 races now are referring to themselves as having done an Ironman or that they are an Ironman. Not that, that really matters, just stating the facts.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance = Ironman? [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the corollary to that statement is, if I did an IRONMAN 70.3 and since it's a WTC event, then is it an "IRONMAN"?
albeit ironman* (70.3)

=)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have ever tried to explain the difference between an Indie Iron Distance race and an Ironman to someone who knows nothing about triathlons, you will simply just say you are doing an Ironman. Most folks will understand that. Whereas trying to explain why you can't call an Indie race an Ironman and yada yada yada.,...ain't so easy. So when anyone asks, I just take the easy way out.
What surprises me more are how many triathletes don't get the difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next