Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week
Quote | Reply
I would love to hear some responses from people who have done multiple IM's.

Consider the following scenarios.

1. Person trains 15 hours a week (for 26 weeks), does lots of endurance based rides, avoids higher threshold (quality) workouts. Does the race, races hard and pushes it and finishes in 10 hours.

2. Person trains 10 hours a week (for 26 weeks), does mainly threshold workouts (busts his ass but always monitoring his workouts to stay injury free, limits pool time to two strenuous 45 minute sessions. Does the race and is looking just to finish, backs way off from the level they trained at and stick with a basic endurance pace throughout. They finish this race in????????? hours.

Before you all say it, I know it depends on their aerobic base/swim level.....but lets just say for arguments sake this person (me!!) has done 80 tris over the last 5 years and this is their first IM.

Based you your experience what happens to me on 10 hours. I would probably shoot for a 11:00 + time and be happy to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to do a big swim/bike/short run day a week (weekend day probably), and one long run midweek of 2,5 hrs. Together that will be like 8,5 hrs of training. 4 days a week with 45mins-1 hr of training will get you to 12 hrs or so. I could do an IM on that. If all you do is 12*45 mins of training a week, you will walk for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am speaking 2nd hand but my wife did this with success in training for 2 IMLP's - 12:02 & 11:24. Her training weeks were always in the 10 hr range until the 3 weekends about a month out where she did a longer ride (4-6hrs) on Saturday and then a longer run Sunday (2-3hrs). Otherwise, it was shorter stuff during the week -- 1-1.5 bike, >1hr runs & >1hr swims. She felt great, never injured, loved every second of the IM and never felt consumed by the training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pete Metz did it to go 10:XX at IMWI

See: http://petemetz.blogspot.com/...009-race-report.html

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [chiro18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because its high threshold doesn't = quality workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine (and a regional pro & multisport coach) followed a 10 hour (or less) plan this year for IronMan Kentucky. He had a bad race (by his standards) due to a calf injury, and finished in 10:10. He detailed everything at his blog:
http://ironmanin10.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: nickwhite: Nov 25, 09 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ray Britt - from Chicago used to race extremely well on about an hour a day - I think he is still running and racing - but his perspective may have changed.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it for my second ironman and finished in 10:47. A bit slower than what you're looking for. My biking and running seemed to be pretty unaffected by the swim was tough for me because I don't have a background. I should say I would have preferred more training but it was my first year in Berlin and I prioritized work.

Since it's your first and you've done 80 tris I would really recommend closer to your first proposal. Treat your last 5 years and even winter training as high intensity and then do a reverse period of longer stuff as you get closer to the race but maybe keep one intense bike ride with longer intervals.

Dan

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For an experienced triathlete with 5+ years of back-ground in the sport and a minimum of 2 1/2 IM done, then 10 hours/week, if it's done right, can yield a decent IM performance. N=1 - I did 9 IM races in my time - all under 10:00 on about 10/week average over the course of a year. Note I said average. Some weeks were much bigger and others smaller. The key is dosing and periodizing the training over the course of the year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 25, 09 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 Fleck. My 1st ever IM was actually a 9-10 hr average per week total, with the big weeks about 12 hrs (it's all I could handle back then). I ended up with 10:30:11...that was in Kona on the harder course (with the Pit). Yes, it can be done on 10 hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I did 9 IM races in my time - all under 10:00 on about 10/week average over the course of a year. Note I said average. Some weeks were much bigger and others smaller. The key is dosing and periodizing the training over the course of the year.

This is interesting to me. Did you do a really low volume in winter? I made 12-14 hours weeks average last year, but I did those weeks very consistent. I think I did not broke 16 hours/week once but outside of the recovery week after an IM I also did not do less then 10 hours/week. My guess is that if you train low volume you really have to do that low volume week for the entire year without many weeks off. The increase in performance with these kinds of volume become measureable after months, not after weeks in my case.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that if you train low volume you really have to do that low volume week for the entire year without many weeks off.

My guess is that you are thinking about this like many do, when someone says "10 hrs week" its the same every week. I'll note again that I said average - some weeks were 20+ others were 5 or less.

As for the off season - I never really looked at it that way. Tri off season was, xc skiing season!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you can progress less fast on low volume so your week to week change in training load should be less then with a more aggressive approach. There should be certain development within the hours you train, but no radical changes in my opinion if all you can do is a low volume week. But you seem to have done it differently, because you did the big weeks.

And XC skiing is not an off season at all, it is just a different way of putting a training stress on your body, but it still an aerobic sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talk to Mike Caiazzo. :-)

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about on an average of 3hrs per week for the last 3 months? Can I finish?

Brian Hughes
http://www.fastsplits.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training on 10 Hours A Week [Brian Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well....with a good race plan, anything is possible. I expect to see you racing Cross in RI next weekend and Wrentham the 12th...so dont get hurt.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply