Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IT-BS
Quote | Reply
I ran a marathon in june and had some hip flexor, hip abductor and lower back issues. A week later, I moved across the country and spent 3 days sitting in one spot.

That combo turned my lower body into a brick, tension wise. When I started running again, within a week I developed ITBS in my right knee. I had some general tightness in that knee during the marathon build, but general ice and stretching took care of it.

I have spent the last month doing nothing but swimming and stretching. It finally got to the point where it was pain free, so I tried running. 800 m of slow jogging on a soft track and I'm back to limping around. It felt like somebody put my knee in a vice then jabbed a screwdriver in the side.

So I stretched it out really well which will make the symptoms go away and let me walk a little longer without pain. I tried the foam roller, and could feel the entire band from my knee to my hip was super sensitive. After rolling it out, it didn't really loosen it, but now its pissed off even more.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I've been out of running and have been actively working on getting rid of it for about 6 weeks now and it feels like I'm making zero progress. I guess the next step is a PT, but they are so damn expensive (on student insurance), and I've been following the recommended treatments, so I afraid they're going to say I need a cortisone shot.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I developed ITBS 5 weeks prior to the '08 Boston Marathon. I cut my training did massage, PT, foam roller, etc, nothing really helped. I sucked it up and did the race anyway. After the race and recovery period I knew I need to take some time off from running, which lead me to my starting tri's. I did sprints throughout '08 figuring I could run 5k without really training for the run. It never went away throughout the summer and after 4 sprints I finally took time off.

Long story short, I started yoga in the off season, continued it after I started running again in late November and have not had any problems since. I think the yoga was the best thing for my ITBS. When I started training for a HIM I kept up the yoga as much as time would allow used the foam roller a few times a week and have been ok since. I've done 4 oly's and 1 HIM this summer with one race to go.

I'm going to a similar routine this fall/winter and incorporate yoga because ultimately I think it was the biggest factor ITBS away this year.

I hope it works for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem & ended up at a PT. He did ASTYM (google it) treatment, which was excruciating, but worked. Also gave me some pre-workout stretches to do. The combination did the trick, as I have had no problems with it since. Best of luck to you; I know it sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try one of these: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-ITBAND.html

It might not be that simple... but then again, it might. For $14.95 it's worth a shot.

It's kept me pain-free since the day I started using it.

Quote | Reply
Hey,

What everyone else has said is all and good, but they don't get down to the source of the problem, insufficient hip and core stability. I am a Sports Physiologist and have gone through this myself which made me pull out of Geelong 70.3 in Feb during the run. I sought a mate who is a great Physio here in Perth, WA and together we came up with the following which has worked not only for me but also a number of guys in my training group:

1) No running- if you want to keep your cardio fitness up, deep water running is best;
2) Myofacial release of your lateral quads and ITB- i.e needles from a trained Physio once a week- this really works!;
3)Use the foam roller 2-3 tmes per week and stretch your hip flexors, hamstrings, lateral quads and lower back;
4) exercises to stregthen your hips, lower back and legs- weak hips and muscular inbalance in your hips is the major cause of ITB. Complete the following 3 times per week:
-1 Leg supine bridge 3x8 each leg;
-side bridge 3x20 sec each side;
-prone bridge/plank4x30 sec;
-hip hike2x8 each side;
-1 leg squats 2x8-10 each leg;
Look on the net for these exercises, or ask a PT/Physio.

Further when you do get back to running, one run a week bare foot running on grass works wonders. 20-40 min of jogging concentrating on forefoot contact and plyometric exercises to stretngthen your legs and hips.

Give this a go and let me know the progress. I would be interested in seeing if you gain as much out of this programme as we did.

Regards Mat
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that info. I'll give it a shot a let you know how it goes.

If I can't find a physio trained in myfacial release (or it's just too dang expensive), is there something else I should do in its place?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fought ITBS for 4 or 5 years. I can be very painful as you know. I have done the pt route-ART therapy-massage MF release. The greatest change I noticed was a change from motion control shoes to cushioning. My previous shoes were controlling the motion too much and not allowing my ankle to way it wanted to and forcing me to run and land on the outside of my foot. all of the impacts straight up to the itb.

Look at your shoes! pretty cheep as far a fixes go. I know shoe are highly personal but I am loving the asics nimbus

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best options are massage and PT treatments but if $ is an issue I would consider getting at least 2 massages for your low back/hamstrings/ITB

Then you need to strengthen your adductors (groin/muscles on the inside of the leg)

This is a good exercise to start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrWHmmWb71g
Then move up up this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftTRZT3rsT8

Check your posture as well...sitting in a bad position can really tighten up your SI joint (hip/low back junction) and really cause more torque on your leg when running which helps ITBS get started.
Good Luck
Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [wckid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I developed ITBS 5 weeks prior to the '08 Boston Marathon. I cut my training did massage, PT, foam roller, etc, nothing really helped. I sucked it up and did the race anyway. After the race and recovery period I knew I need to take some time off from running, which lead me to my starting tri's. I did sprints throughout '08 figuring I could run 5k without really training for the run. It never went away throughout the summer and after 4 sprints I finally took time off.

Long story short, I started yoga in the off season, continued it after I started running again in late November and have not had any problems since. I think the yoga was the best thing for my ITBS. When I started training for a HIM I kept up the yoga as much as time would allow used the foam roller a few times a week and have been ok since. I've done 4 oly's and 1 HIM this summer with one race to go.

I'm going to a similar routine this fall/winter and incorporate yoga because ultimately I think it was the biggest factor ITBS away this year.

I hope it works for you!

Yoga and a foam roller helped me as well. Yoga is my magic elixir, it strengthens the core and helps with everything else.

One thing I had to remember and most my running buddies that have been through IT-BS say the same thing. It took a lot longer than any of us thought to really get back to true form, most took about eight months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the symptoms (hip and back issues) it sounds like you need to strengthen your core area, as someone mentioned above, to regain good biomechanics. Here are some strengthening exercises: http://swimshady.blogspot.com/...cover-from-itbs.html

ITBS can come about for several reasons, weak core strength being one of them. I would encourage you to work on addressing the cause rather than treating the symptoms. With ITBS the pain is in the knee but the problem is not ... it is elsewhere. Look at everything from your shoes to your core ...

Nick Brunson - SC, USA
Last edited by: swimshady: Sep 1, 09 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mat/TakeYourTime knows what he's talking about! I've been through the *exact* same thing as you, and managed to get rid of it, and keep it gone for over a year now. Here is what I recommend, and what cured me. But, Mat nailed it - weak hips. Form is everything!

I had a nasty bout of IT Band stuff hit me. A pro triathlete I know suggested a couple of things which I believe saved my running. Not only did it make the IT band pain cease, I'm a much better (and faster) runner now.

1) Lateral side-steps with mini-bands. My IT Band issues were 95% due to weak hip adductors/abductors, and a weak butt (glutes). The mini bands did wonders for strengthening my hips. See the sidesteps in this video (at 02:28):
http://performbetter.com/...3_A_CategoryID_E_327
Get multiple green/blue/black bands. They will snap. Keep your toes straight while doing these.

2) Bridges on my heels. Lay on your back with your knees bent. Lift your toes so that your heels are touching the ground. Lift your butt up, and squeeze/hold for 5 seconds. Do 10 of these for 3 sets. Google or Youtube "bridges" to see examples. By rep #10 you should be shaking. This will strengthen your butt. Crucial for good running form!

3) The piriformis stretch. Get your butt stretched out before running, and do this every day to stay loose:
http://www.expertvillage.com/...riformis-stretch.htm

4) Buy a foam roller, and roll out your IT bands every day. It really hurts bad at first, but after 2 weeks, you won't feel a thing. I started rolling on a 8lb medicine ball because my hard foam roller is too "soft" now. This helped me a little, probably more mentally than anything. The roller probably won't solve the root of IT Band issues, but it sure will toughen you up.

5) How is your running stride? Are you taking long steps? Heel landing? Have you ever thought about cadence when running? I don't wear, endorse or really have much of an opinion on Newton shoes, but this video is great. I wish someone would have shown it to me a long time ago:
http://www.monkeysee.com/...njuries-Running-Form

Good luck with your recovery! Doing the mini-bands, hip ups, piriformis stretch, and really working on my stride had me fixed in 3 weeks. I did the above 5 days per week and really focused on recovery. I still do these 2 days per week, and before long runs.

edit: *oh, and swimshady knows his stuff too! he gave me some good pointers to kick ITBS*
Last edited by: aryfi: Sep 1, 09 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this: http://www.sgcvisser.nl/...0Band%20Syndrome.pdf

You did the right thing by resting and icing (acute/subacute phases) but need to continue on to the receovery phase as described in the article and do the progressive strengthening exercises to prevent it for recurring.

Be patient and take a "long term" approach to this (don't rush your comeback) and hopefully you'll never deal with ITBS again!

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks guys. A lot of good stuff there to digest. I think I've put together a plan of attack.

I've actually been doing a ton of stretching...I spend a good hour every night just stretching while watching TV. I actually to that piriformis stretch quite a lot, as it seems to help the most. Believe it or not, since I've been just swimming and stretching for the past 6 weeks or so, my legs and ankles are the most flexible they have ever been.

Shoes may have had something to do with it, as towards the end of my build, I started having a lot of issues with my arch in my right foot, which I think was due to too many miles in worn down shoes, but I have been training in very neutral shoes all spring. I am a natural midfoot striker, but I do notice that my foot tends to land more on the outside edge.

One question on the foam roller. When I rolled out my IT band yesterday, it REALLY hurt, and my leg continued to hurt afterward. I was more sore after that 5 minute session (1 min at a time) then I am after racing a HM. It still hurts today. When I did it last night, my IT band hurt like hell afterward and I was stretching every hour just to be able to walk around the house, but this morning, it actually felt better then normal (except for the soreness). Is that the way the foam roller should feel? I know it is supposed to hurt (a lot), but is the pain supposed to persist?

Last edited by: VO2Matt: Sep 1, 09 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can finally say that I've recovered from ITB Impingement. It took a very long time (6 to 8 months before running confidently, it's been 2 years and I'm only just now no longer paranoid about it resurfacing), but I attribute my recovery to the following:

1) Stretching constantly. Various stretches you can look up or a PT can show you. I combine sitting with stretching the outside of my leg by sitting with my legs crossed.

2) Running only on trails. Cement/Asphalt is hot lava as far as I'm concerned. It's infinitely more enjoyable anyway.

3) Icing after every run. Either that, or, for a year I had a shower head that you could detach from the wall. I would put it on full cold and numb the entire outer part of each leg then turn it on hot. This really helped me.

I'm not a physician and as you can see this may not be the most effective recovery program as it took so long, but there is a good thread a guy started on his experience with a cortisone shot.

Best of luck. Sorry that this happened.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No the foam rolling shouldn't feel that way. Make sure not to go down too far. Stop before you get to the knee area. And *very important* ... only roll down the leg. Don't roll up the leg as this will draw the it band tight and cause that pain you felt at the knee. You are trying to lengthen or loosen the band. Roll from the hip down. It is good to lie on your side with your affected side on top with the leg extended in front of you with the knee bent at 90 degrees. Have someone get a rolling pin and start at your butt and roll down your leg (but not all the way to the knee) using as much pressure as you can stand.

the most important are the shoes and core strength. The foam rolling the IT band is really just treating the symptom, not the cause. If the cause is a tight adductor and you foam roll that then you would be treating the problem ... It's most important to identify the cause so you don't end up dealing with this for months. If you find the cause it should take no longer than 6 weeks and as few as 2-3 if your are diligent.

Good luck

Nick Brunson - SC, USA
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [swimshady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know that about rolling in a single direction, but it makes sense. I do have a 'stick', which is actually easier to use then the foam roller, although it doesn't put as much pressure. It's just so dang hard to massage and loosen up all those random muscles in the hip...even with the tennis ball method.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The glute causes a lot of the tightness, get a hard ball and do some trigger points. The day after I do that my leg feels much looser.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you said foam roller 2-3 x a week -- I roll around on mine after EVERY workout which is 1-2 a day if I bike and run, or just do one.

There's no problems from rolling on it so much, is there?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not suggest doing it every day- just becauser when done properly, it can cause a fair amount of stress on your muscle fibres, and they need to rest also especially if you are also traiing ywice a day. They need a rest to recover before your next session. It's just like a good massage, you ideally don't want one twice a day every day! Something to think about...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. MR is prob your best solution to releasing the tension in your lateral quads asap, but trigger point therapy will work, prob just not as fast.

I hope all comes good soon
Quote Reply
Re: IT-BS [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great exercises to help with increasinf function and form!! Good stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the set I did this morning:

3x2 min balance on small half-ball (each leg)
2x20 ball squats
10x5s one leg bridge (each leg)
10x5s one leg plank (each leg)
10x5s one leg bridge (each leg)
3x10 heel bridges
2x8 hip lift (each leg)

I could definitely feel that working my hips and glutes, especially the one leg bridges, but I didn't get much out of the heel bridges. I was going all the way up and pinching my glutes together, but I only really felt it in my lower, lateral calves.

The weight room also didn't have any stretch cords, but said they are going to order some. Anyone know any additional hip adductor/abductor exercises that don't use them? I guess I could just use the stupid machine.

Quote Reply