Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen
Quote | Reply
Re: Herbert's interview with Greg Bennet. On the question of what's a typical training week Bennet yielded nothing, nada, zilch. Wow, so secretive, not even a 20k/50k/200k swim/bike/run non-answer. So maybe it is rocket science.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
So maybe it is rocket science. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg: Ah.... actually no I don't think I can. I guess Laura and I believe in what we are doing so much and we believe it is something so special that we'd prefer to keep it to ourselves. In the very near future we look forward to share what we are doing and it hurts not being able to give our knowledge to others right now.

Finally... The secret workouts will be revealed!!!

Get the feeling we're getting ready to get sold something?
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More is less???

Quote | Reply
Ah, on closer reading I think you're onto something. Kinda funny, I'm sorta curious about their training now.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think that's a big secret... An undercover Special Agent managed to sneak this picture out of Tucson, AZ risking life and limb for the benefit of us non-elites.

Intimidation tactics? Stalking food? Jonnyo's approach to meeting womens?

We may never know...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: So maybe it is rocket science. [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is funny. I guess all the pros are afraid to let us in on the "magic formula". LOL. I actually have a buddy who trains with the Bennetts sometimes in their offseason in Palm Beach....maybe I can get some inside scoop.

I have a feeling it is something along these lines:
Swim - a lot
Bike - a heck of a lot
Run - a whole hell of a lot

Jerry: What you're suggesting is illegal.
Kramer: It's not illegal!
Jerry: It's against the law.
Kramer: Well, yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woah, he's about to crush that tiny wheel.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given who his previous coach was, and having seen small snippets of schedules from that coach... I have a pretty good idea how he trains.

I don't think most people would believe it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [synchronicityII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somehow i doubt it's that high tech........even within the better pro's most of them have totally different training schedules, none of which are real high tech. usually it comes down to them being better and getting the work done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been thinking about this all day!
Interesting stuff! I'm sure the 16 years of tri has a big impact on
whatever training he does now. Who doesn't love a mystery!

Ideas????

CMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out his interview with Huddle and Babbit on www.competitorradio.com, it seems like he said something about it then. It was just a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff like that pisses me off. Whatever his "big secret" is I'm sure it's not that earth-shattering. I want to see triathlon become more competitive, grow in popularity, and become more spectator-appealing, and Bennet pulling this shiznit sure doesn't help in my non-expert opinion. He should just be honest about it, but instead he's being sneaky...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only there was a way for him to communicate this valuable top secret information to us through a book or something........ Man, if only......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More harder training and better recovery than the next guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [synchronicityII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling that they utilize treadmill, hand paddles, running on concrete blocks as training aid. Am I on the right track ?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even close. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Woah, he's about to crush that tiny wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [FasterMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please tell me you're F-ing joking. Sneaky? Really?

I have been fortunate enough to get to know Greg and Laura during their time in South Florida over the past few years and I have to say that Sneaky is not a word I would use to describe either one of them. They are both tremendous ambassadors for our sport and all about doing what is best for the sport while working to acheive their individual goals. Greg has openly shared training advice with me on numerous occassions, and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out as well if you knew him.

Greg and Laura are professionals in every sense of the word. Triathlon is how they make their living. They have something they feel works for them and gives them an edge, and there is nothing wrong with not passing it along to their competition. Do you also have a problem with the NFL teams not sharing their playbooks, or CocaCola passing out its 'secret' formula? Its similar to why companies patent their products, protection against competition. Unfortunately, something like this can't be protected unless they keep it a secret. And beleive me, its nothing that earth shattering from what I know that Greg and I have spoken about in the past. But if they feel it gives them an edge than they have every right to keep it under wraps until they are no longer racing.

There is no shortage of fast people and coaches that can develop a program to make you and all others more competitive triathletes, so that's not something you have to worry about. Also, if you knew about some of the things Greg is working on, you'd know he wants the same things as you. Don't hate on the guy for doing what he feels is necessary to make a living for him and his family. He gives plenty back.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to diss the Bennett's professionalism, I guess I'm just frustrated because Greg is the best short-course athlete in the world, and I'd really love some insight into how he trains! I agree that he's a great guy, never met him but I saw him one time and got all warm and tingly inside...
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, the Bennetts are indeed both very nice in addition to being great athletes.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Greg mentioned in his interview, he IS a professional. Meaning he does truly earn a living thru the sport. He also sounds like an astute business man as well. Not tell anyone his trade secrets until after he is done, then profit from them with coaching. What the hell is wrong with that?! That is the capitalistic way.

We will all find out one day this trade secret is picking his nose before every workout so that maximum oxygen flow is delivered to the muscles. ;)
Last edited by: t daddy: Jan 19, 08 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [t daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I think that Greg's response on "training" was ultra lame. The likelihood is that 80-95% of what he does is pretty standard. As a bare minimum, he could have given the readers some insight into the bulk of his training and even maybe provide age groupers with some advice. I am sure he "gives back to the sport" but little things like this really go a long way. The final 5-20% that is secret, can be just that...secret, and he can keep it close to his chest. Readers really get a kick out of having a bit of insight into what the top guys do...they don't need to spill the entire formula, but a bit would have been nice.

That's the cool thing about Macca....many might not like him, but I respect the guy for putting the cards on the table for everyone to see...no secrets.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Greg Bennet's super secret training regimen [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I think you have no idea. I'd wager that 90% of what he does is NOT standard.

EDIT: If it was standard... everyone would be at Greg Bennet's level!!
Last edited by: synchronicityII: Jan 19, 08 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dev, I think you have no idea. I'd wager that 90% of what he does is NOT standard.

he swims/bikes/runs a lot doing various intervals/durations/combinations of each, just like everyone else. unless he sprinkles himself with fairy dust before racing, i'm pretty sure it's not earth shattering, and i'm pretty sure it's nothing a Chris Carmichael/Joe Friel/Alan Lim etc couldn't figure out ;-)

it's pretty simple, he does the work and is really good at it. somebody has to win, and he's the one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching a show on the discovery channel, I think, about the current free masons. And they kept asking them what their secrets were and he wouldn't tell them, he finally said something along the lines of...

"You could go on google and find all our secrets in a few minutes, but I promised not to tell you what they are so I am not going to"

I would imagine his training plans are nothing you couldn't find in most training manuals but he has found a combination that works for him. A lot of the exercises I do can be found in all sorts of training programs, but I never see anybody else doing them the way I do. Its human nature to not want to give away your secrets for people to exploit, but helping out and sharing with your friends that aren't going to go behind your back is always gratifying.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next