Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive???
Quote | Reply
Since this is mostly an anonymous forum, lets have some opinions here. I am a chiropractor who works mainly with the metabolic side of health. I have studied the immune system intensely and have come to this conclusion.

High end triathlon training (10-30 hours a week...just threw those numbers out there) is not a healthy thing for most people to be doing. And for women on birth control, its worse.

Keep in mind, this is from someone who has done 70 tris and is signed up for IM Austria next summer.

How many of your female friends have an adequate sex drive? I am not talking about mid pack people. I am describing those people that are on the podium in their age groups consistently and/or are overall winners at many races each year.

Here is what happens to women. Many are on birth control and combined with an incredible amount of adrenal stress, they start to work their thryoid tissue overtime. After a couple of years of doing this, their bodies begin to fall apart. They dont sleep as well, they are chronically fatigued (which they blame on "training",)libido sucks and so on.

They end up with undiagnosed autoimmune disease, and are given synthroid, estrogens or other hormones because their docs don't understand how to treat them.

Am I wrong....agree or flame away.
J
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought most birth control pills were on the banned substance list, or thats what i heard anyways

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if a lot of them were on birth control. A lot of female high level endurance athletes have amenorrhea, because their body fat levels don't support menstruation.

And why would it be different? Men or women, high levels of endurance training knock down the sex drive quite a bit.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, this happens with or without birth control pills and with or without triathlon training in the mix. Most women have to work on their sex drive, unlike most men. When you have kids, a job, a house, bills, etc, the stress and lack of sleep can do horrible things to a woman's libido.

I'd be interested to hear if you feel the same about pro/elite men. Is the training that they're doing having a similar effect on their libido? Is your theory that the difference is the birth control pills that many women are on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, are you trying to say that an autoimmune disease (i.e. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc.) can be brought on by "excessive" endurance training? Maybe you are you confused on the term?

Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that testosterone levels control women's sex drive... If any of the pros are, eh, supplementing, I would expect them to have quite vigorous sex drives.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I don't have an answer to this highly scientific question, I do utilize sex drive as my major indicator of overtraining. If it's low I go slow. If it's high it's time to fly. At least that's how I role.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure they all want to get lei'd. Ah, I couldn't help it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to support anyone's argument (with which I'm not familiar), I did treat a patient with dupuytren's contracture (thought to have some autoimmune risk factor/relationship) that resolved once he stopped applying androgel with that hand. Actually, he discontinued androgel entirely, but had been applying it to his chest with the affected hand.

I have a surf-buddy who is a pharmacist----he scratched his head over that one...wasn't familiar with any similar reports (generally skin reactions, but not fascia). Who knows what the relationship was, but onset and resolution timed exactly with the steroid creme. Weird.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to use that topic for my thesis last year but my advisor said NO.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... I'm also curious,

In Reply To:
"High end triathlon training (10-30 hours a week...just threw those numbers out there) is not a healthy thing for most people to be doing. And for women on birth control, its worse. "

If the last sentence is true: is it better to be training that much and NOT on birth control?

In Reply To:
They end up with undiagnosed autoimmune disease, and are given synthroid, estrogens or other hormones because their docs don't understand how to treat them.

Is it NOT an autoimmune disease? (I am just trying to understand) ... how SHOULD it be treated?

That may be out of your scope as a chiropractor - I don't know. But maybe someone else could answer.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd be surprised if a lot of them were on birth control. A lot of female high level endurance athletes have amenorrhea, because their body fat levels don't support menstruation.

Most amenhorrea is treated with BCP.

Ammenhorrea is NOT only caused by a lack of body fat. There are a lot of factors - that is one of them - recent research points to a caloric deficit (energy imbalance) as the primary cause. I've posted something in the womens forum about a big study just done regarding this - ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad. Was publsihed last spring I believe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would one use birth control if one has no sex drive?
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [peterwong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha, that's a good question.

I'm pretty sure you're just joking, but the serious answer is that BC provides bone-protective estrogen for women not manufacturing enough of it on their own (amenhorrea).

I'm seriously interested in this topic and hope we can get some smart people to chime in.

Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [peterwong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just bc you have no sex drive doesn't mean you aren't going to have sex.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on Spicoli, out with it. You're looking for 'volunteers' to test your thesis.

Interesting topic to discuss though.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
just bc you have no sex drive doesn't mean you aren't going to have sex.
Still works half limp

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else mentioned, sex drive in both men and women is driven by testosterone levels (in addition to lots of other things, just keeping it simple) and as far as I know, endurance training can absolutely lower testosterone over time. So from that POV, I would think both men and women, doing serious endurance training would suffer in the libido department.

NOTE: I am not a medical professional...just regurgitating stuff I have read and been shared with by physicians.

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you, endurance training to the "extreme" is not healthy and even more so for women than it is for men. It would be interesting to see some hormonal data of a group of female athletes throughout the season.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have any evidence of any kind on "wear" on the thyroid or the pathophysiology of autoimmune diseases? otherwise, i would agree with the other posters that libido is mostly controlled by testosterone in both males and females, and also is not connected to total body fat (although adipose cells are involved with the regulation of sex hormones, specifically estrogen), and may be more related to caloric intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [tri-ath-UH-lete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to support anyone's argument (with which I'm not familiar), I did treat a patient with dupuytren's contracture (thought to have some autoimmune risk factor/relationship) that resolved once he stopped applying androgel with that hand. Actually, he discontinued androgel entirely, but had been applying it to his chest with the affected hand.

I have a surf-buddy who is a pharmacist----he scratched his head over that one...wasn't familiar with any similar reports (generally skin reactions, but not fascia). Who knows what the relationship was, but onset and resolution timed exactly with the steroid creme. Weird.

Oh boy. Dupytren's contracture is NOT an autoimmune disease either. There *may* be a familial tendency, but that it not what an autoimmune disease is.

Interesting in that it can be treated with steroid injections into the fibromatous nodules as well. Who knows why his "resolved" after the androgel use. Personally I like collagenase enzyme injection to break down the collagen cross linking. I haven't found the new topical calcium channel blockers with electrophoresis (or whatever ion transport drives it) very effective.

Quote | Reply
If I recall Susan Williams's daughter is named Sydney because a pregnancy put off her Olympic dream...
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Oh boy. Dupytren's contracture is NOT an autoimmune disease either. There *may* be a familial tendency, but that it not what an autoimmune disease is.

Interesting in that it can be treated with steroid injections into the fibromatous nodules as well. Who knows why his "resolved" after the androgel use. Personally I like collagenase enzyme injection to break down the collagen cross linking. I haven't found the new topical calcium channel blockers with electrophoresis (or whatever ion transport drives it) very effective.
Woah, woah WOAAAAAH! I never said it was an AI disorder....just stated that there's some sort of relationship. If you disagree, go after the American College of Rheumatology.

And mine was just a clinical observation. That's all. If I read your response incorrectly, then I'm sorry for my reaction. Otherwise, save the lectures for the classroom.
---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Here is what happens to women. Many are on birth control and combined with an incredible amount of adrenal stress, they start to work their thryoid tissue overtime. After a couple of years of doing this, their bodies begin to fall apart. They dont sleep as well, they are chronically fatigued (which they blame on "training",)libido sucks and so on."

It's not just women. Men experience the same issues - minus the birth control part. A few years ago when I was in this same situation,my hormone levels (cortisol, testosterone, T3, T4, etc.) as well as my neurotransmitter levels were all way out of whack. It is not just a result of the stress of high level training. The rest of life tends to pile on too.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If any of the pros are, eh, supplementing, I would expect them to have quite vigorous sex drives. "
---------------------------------

Based on the number of pro women that have ever shown any "interest" in me, I would have to conclude that pro women are definitely NOT "supplementing" ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply

Prev Next