Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chrissie Wellington is no doper!
Quote | Reply
Okay, I don`t know Chrissie, and all my thoughts are gleaned from what I`ve read about her. I may be wrong, but I believe she`s a straight-shooter. My point is she hasn`t the doper`s profile... Here`s my idea of the typical doper`s profile:
-Is an experienced athlete, with at least 5-10 years in one or various sports at a top level;
-Very driven & competitive;
-Is looking for ANY advantages he can get;
-Has come to a point where improvements are coming slower;
-Has loads of peer-pressure;
-Is part of an experienced group of athletes w/ access to cutting edge methods & materials (like a cycling team).
My example for athletes who fit this profile are Nina Kraft & Florence Griffith-Joyner. Nina had been placing well at Kona (3rd 2000 / 2nd 2002 / 3rd 2003) and had a string of wins at other IMs. She was trying to bump it up to another level. Flo-jo was a sprinter who had good results but didn`t look like a world beater in 1984. She peaked in 1988 at the age of 29 (i.e. a bit long in the tooth for sprinting), getting results no one would have predicted earlier on. And on the "getting every possible advantage" theme, she even pioneered those ridiculous hooded alien style sprinting suits... Another guy (who I like) is David Millar, who ended up doping in 2004 when his team COFIDIS named him team captain and he was expected to step it up to another level. He ended up bitterly regretted it.

Here`s where Chrissie is different:
-Focuses on enjoyment... So much so that partying was as much a focus in her early sporting activities as the sports itself;
-Isn`t manic about equipment - she races on a good yet standard Cervelo rig w/ HED jets, also she wears a standard helmet;
-She`s still improving - naturally;
-Hasn`t been a high-level athlete for long so doesn`t have so many contacts in the pro-athletic world;
-Had no peer-pressure, or past athletic results which put her in any sort of obligation;
-Is not hungry for success of the conventional kind, rather wants to do meaningful things (like working in for a Nepalese NGO in 2004 - how detached is that?).

When you`re doping, you`re desperate, and it`s also a sign of low self-belief. Nina, when she won the 2004 Hawaii Ironman she also got busted for drafting: in other words she was desperate to win. Chrissie not only raced clean in 2008 (and 2007 for that matter), but was very cool when she had a flat. She never lost her calm, had maintained a philosophical outlook (from what I`ve gathered). When she came to Hawaii in 2007 as a rookie, she had no expectations, and no peer pressure, so why would she want to risk it all by doping? No way!
Last edited by: GoatHerd: Oct 23, 08 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is no doper! [GoatHerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of what you have said would lead me to believe a single thing about whether or not Chrissie uses drugs to go faster.

You need to ge tmore cynical, how old are you? haha

What does make me think she probably isn't doping is she is fast all year round at every event she does.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm expecting my son to step it up on his 7 year old soccer team. But now I realize he is nothing but a doper.

Thank you for providing me with the knowledge so that I can now confront him. No SpongeBob for a week!!! Damn doper.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is no doper! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 41, I`m probably older than you are... I`m not laying down hard facts, but a person`s profile. It`s called speculation. If you are so clever why not put down a structured chain of thought, instead of a few miss-typed phrases?
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is no doper! [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great opinion piece. but thats all it is, an opinion. some of your conclusions are questionable, to say the least

but i do agree, i like to believe that Chrissie Wellington is totally clean, and one of the best things for the sport ever.

Trek Speed Concept 9.9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're right, she's great.

I REALLY hope you're right.

IMO she is the best ambassador the sport has has for a long time. I pray that her unrivaled abitlity is natural. The consequesnces otherwise would be devestating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Your method of determining dopers is a lot cheaper than testing. That's a big plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the biggest piece of unfounded shit I have read in a long time.
speculating rubbish like this when it goes the other way is what leaves many clean athletes tarnished, so at least this rubbish has a positive spin.
In a similiar spiel here is what i've gleaned from reading your post...
1)if you spent less time speculating on the pool deck you would swim faster
2)if you spent less time talking rubbish mid ride at cafes would ride faster
3)if you spent less time informing everyone of this tripe at the track you would have a better chance of nailing your run intervals and also run faster
4)if you spent less time typing this garbage on here you'd be able to do more core strength work, more flexibility work and probably ride your bike as you posted the photo on here with no spacers rather than the six you put back in after the photo
5)if you spent less time posting this on here we probably wouldn't have thought goat herding was your real occupation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is no doper! [Ruley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

5)if you spent less time posting this on here we probably wouldn't have thought goat herding was your real occupation
Funny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is the biggest piece of unfounded shit I have read in a long time.
speculating rubbish like this when it goes the other way is what leaves many clean athletes tarnished, so at least this rubbish has a positive spin.
In a similiar spiel here is what i've gleaned from reading your post...
1)if you spent less time speculating on the pool deck you would swim faster
2)if you spent less time talking rubbish mid ride at cafes would ride faster
3)if you spent less time informing everyone of this tripe at the track you would have a better chance of nailing your run intervals and also run faster
4)if you spent less time typing this garbage on here you'd be able to do more core strength work, more flexibility work and probably ride your bike as you posted the photo on here with no spacers rather than the six you put back in after the photo
You can dissagree all you like, but why the disrespect? Are you this insulting when face-to-face? One tip: you`re probably not as clever as you think you are...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can be, depending on how much crap is coming out of someones mouth.
I might not be clever but i scored 98.05 on the results of my final two years of high school(maximum score 99.95) and attend the best university in the country. Maybe i just give a really good head job or instead i just work hard on the things that count.
Perhaps you could say then I probably dont have time to train enough to go fast if i'm studying...
last non drafting olympic distance i went 1:53 and last ironman race i did i rode 4:39 including transitions and a flat tyre aboard a 9 speed 105 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is no profile to dopers. They can be anywhere under any form. I dont think chrissie is a doper. But i think your post miss the target 100% and you dont understand the motivation of these athlete....lots of them are very nice, doing it for fun, arent deperate and very comfident individual, generous good person, good firends, ......defininilty not like you portrait.... and then, they test positive and nobody would have seen that coming....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You realize that the number one reason people dope is not fame, money, drive, etc...It's ego.

She seems to be a really down to earth gal, without the need for an ego boost though. That said, that's the image we have of her from the outside, no idea how she really is.

FWIW, I don't think she dopes and I think she's really what she projects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I might not be clever but i scored 98.05 on the results of my final two years of high school(maximum score 99.95) and attend the best university in the country. Maybe i just give a really good head job or instead i just work hard on the things that count.
Perhaps you could say then I probably dont have time to train enough to go fast if i'm studying...
last non drafting olympic distance i went 1:53 and last ironman race i did i rode 4:39 including transitions and a flat tyre aboard a 9 speed 105 bike.
would you like a cookie....? the guy simply posted his opinion...and you attacked him so that you could post your "accomplishments"? attention whore much?
Last edited by: DexGtr: Oct 23, 08 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Wow. These are some really serious achievements. I am in awe as many others here, I'm sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, you`re still 24yrs old... Wait until you get past the 30yr mark, and maybe you`ll have had some sense knocked into yr head. A lot of people have disagreed w/ me on this post but they`ve been respectful and have actually chipped in with some thoughts that are to the point. If you`re usually this agressive, and have to show off yr bike times at every other post, maybe you`re compensating for something...
Last edited by: GoatHerd: Oct 23, 08 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie Wellington is no doper! [DexGtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was wondering, too, what the hell his report card and bike splits had to do with anything?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoW Ruley! I never new that the online schools were ever considered amongst the best in the country, I mean you can't seriously go to an actual University and be SOOO fast.

Ease up on the OP. He put his opinions out there and I think it is pretty intriguing that someone would put that much thought into Chrissie. I don't think she dopes and I admire her. She seems like a good person above all else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do these people come up with this stuff??

Congratulations you have identified just about all major profesional athletes at the mid point of their careers as potential dopers (and excluded any young athlete at the beginning of their career or with a high profile team as being catergorized as such).

With your keen insight i think there is a potential position for you as profiler with the FBI if not WADA.

get some empirical evidence NOT speculation before you use an athletes name in the same sentence as "doping" (no matter how innocous)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good read. I like how you articulated your position and made me think about mine.

I don't know why you are getting all this disrespect. Perhaps these people just want more posts about tubular v. clincher and Hed v. Zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The basic thought is that all sorts of people cheat and lie, desperate, not desperate, cheerful, not cheerful, people with important causes (Lance) and people without.

Fortunately, when endurance athletes cheat they can't do it all year round and dominate consistently the way chrissie has. So I think we have a results based physiological reason to believe she is for real.

In Reply To:
At 41, I`m probably older than you are... I`m not laying down hard facts, but a person`s profile. It`s called speculation. If you are so clever why not put down a structured chain of thought, instead of a few miss-typed phrases?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your thinking. POSITIVE speculation rather than NEGATIVE speculation. Or said another way, positive speculation that she would test negative for PED's rather than negative speculation that she would pop positive for PED's.

There's no doubt the glass is half full with Chrissie.

She's good for the sport and a great example for everyone (both in and outside our sport), to show people what they can accomplish if they work hard and have a passion for what they do.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the size of your intertoobs penis! That thing must be 3 feet!

Just as a heads up, if anybody ever cared about anything you've ever done, they would specifically mention it and then ask you about it. Passing out unrequested and abridged versions of your resume online will not engender you within any community, but particularly in this one, due to the high probability of people with accomplishments much greater than your own participating in the discussions. It would be best if you changed your screenname and started over. I don't think this fallout will be anything close to as bad as Learn's (who is pretty hilarious, but stated some unpopular opinions that now make people dismiss and attack him whenever he posts) or Frank Day's, but I wouldn't plan on being taken seriously here anytime soon with that screenname.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the very fact that this thread exists means that people have at least some miniscule amount of doubt, regardless of what the ultimately believe about her status. It is unfortunate that the actions of others (known, caught dopers) have clouded the field enough that no one is above doubt.

I know why this thread exists. I wish it didn't. I don't think its putting our heads in the sand to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm becoming a big fan of Ms. W!
Quote Reply

Prev Next