Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Centurion cycling what is it
Quote | Reply
 I see a post on the new Centurion in wisconsin. Thougt it would be a good time to introduce the concept to the tri world . What we are doing is taking the best parts of the tri/running and cycling worlds and developing an event series for the masses in cycling. Based on the gran fondo concept in europe the races are like riding a stage of a tour race with a festival atmosphere . what is the difference between this a a typical Century ride..

-closed and controlled roads..the first 30 minutes of riders will have a rolling closure..after that the courses will be controlled like an IM race course...police etc..but riding will be in one lane..

-will have 3 set distances ..100, 50 and 25 mile races...why..so we can establish goal times that each athlete wants to beat..when you enter a tri or marathon almost everyone has a time goal. athletes want to improve and meet individual goals..basically look at the 100 as the IM, 50 as the 70.3, and 25 as the Olympic distance,,or marathon, half marathon ,and 10km in runnning.. each course will be different and athletes will adjust time goals as they do at different IM courses.you can't compare IM wisc to IMFL..

-events will be timed and will have section awards for hill climbs..

-there will be age group awards

-there will be a national point standings with points for each race and double points for a championship race (Mammoth 2010)

-categories..we will have team awards, bike shop awards, bike clubs, charity group ..family awards(eg mom , dad, two kids)

Other points

2010 races

Inaugural event July 17-18 Centurion Colorado boulder (at lyons)..goes up to the Peak to peak highway,,,finishes in lyons..11,000 ft of climbing in the 100

August 14-15 Centurion Wisconsin (middleton/Madison)..tours Dane County plus Iowa County...10,500 ft of climbing i the 100...Centurion 25 is a Time trial event on the saturday

Sept 11-12 Centurion California at Mammoth ..the Centurion Championship (double points race)

-the 25 mile race will be a road race or time trial..varies per race

_the Centurion 25 is on the saturday, Centurion 50 and Centurion 100 on sunday..therefore riders can do both events if you choose (can do that in cycling)

-races are mass starts..faster riders at the front..then age groups, then rec riders by club or team.(athletes choose)..this will be detailed in 3 weeks...great photos with the mass start..great atmosphere..helicopter for TV shots and mass start shots

-there will be prize money and TV coverage on Universal sports..pros riders will be a mix of developing riders, guest riders from sponsor teams

-there will be an expo, and festive post race party, jumbotron, music and great food
-there will be medals for the 100 and 50 finishers

-there will be a finish line party and announcer at each event

-Centurion/Nas Foundation..the goal of the foundation is to raise $ to create programs to buy bikes for kids/adults who cannot afford bikes/ plus create school cycling programs..basically help stop the spread of childhood obesity and health issues. Sport is the way to accomplish this and if we all work towards the goal we can do our part..need ideas on this ..how do we get into the schools..

-charities..we want to give charities a platform to come raise funds at an evetn that everyone can do..not everyone can run a marathon or do an IM,,but most can ride a bike. This is a great platform for the smaller charities who cannot afford to put on their own event.

Courses

What will make this fun and special is riding epic courses. My daughter and i did the Etappe de tour at the Tour de France and finished up Mont Ventoux after riding 93 miles..it was an accomplishment..did levis Gran fondo and the course was spectacular..I knew i worked,..the courses in Boulder, madison and mammoth will all be rides you earn and will love..spectacular scenery, great towns.etc..plus its fun to ride wit hthe other riders..by the way.the etappe had 9500 riders and with the hills it spread out fast..felt safe all day..

_drafting..is allowed and encouraged..but if you don;t feel safe doing it , you can ride with friends or ride on your own..its your choice. whatever you feel safe doing or enjoy.

_ feed stations ..will be 3 tiers..grab a bottle or food and keep riding.2/ stop and fill your own, visit washrooms..3/ rest area to sit and take a break and enjoy the food..

summary'

A great event to get new people into fitness, or use for your tri training. Events will be very social and great for teams and groups..

We will be updating the web site in 3 weeks and taking registration at that point..lots of great sponsors so far and its been a blast developing something new..you will know our race directors and team...a group that loves putting on events and growing something which can benefit so many

any idea on new locations would be welcome..especially in the North east

thanks Graham Fraser..see you at the races
Last edited by: graham fraser: Oct 26, 09 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling [graham fraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I ride off the front, do I get the helicopter?

Oh man, this sounds like fun. Please get the route up soon so I can get some fall rides in on the course (except the airport).
Last edited by: fishgo: Oct 26, 09 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
_drafting..is allowed and encouraged..but if you don;t feel safe doing it , you can ride with friends or ride on your own..its your choice. whatever you feel safe doing or enjoy.

Tri-bikes allowed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Mike Riley going to be there at the finish? "you are a Centurion"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These sound GREAT, love the idea that there may be a 25mile TT the day before. Very very awesome, what else would we expect from yourself though.

tfun~
Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tri-bikes allowed?
From the web page:

"Time trial bikes and handlebar extensions are allowed, but riding in the dropped position is strictly prohibited."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathletes on tt bikes trying to hang with roadies... the name should be centuring cycling crashfest.
Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling what is it [graham fraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a smart great idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-bikes allowed?

Might be time for a new bike!

Perfect timing for my new Blog post - check it out at the link below!

As for the Centurion - I am planning on being there for the first one in Boulder next July. Hope to see many of you there.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Might be time for a new bike!

Agree with you 100% Fleck!

In fact I have a new Look 585 frameset sitting in my basement and a SRAM Rival gruppo in the mail

Looking forward to building up a sweet machine over the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [graham fraser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Graham,

I think you're definitely going in the right direction with this. I've been cursing UCI(CCA) sanctioned road racing for years as I do the odd race on and off. I love road racing...but it sucks with all the ridiculous rules and they just don't realize the average rider just wants to try a bike race without making it an onerous committment. I just want to get out with a bunch of other riders, ride hard and have FUN. Most citizen racers don't want pointless bike/equipment rules, bike position rules, clothing rules, can't race the full distance because you're not a Cat3 rules and so on. I like safe, simple and fun.
We have a great ride like this just outside of Vernon, The Okanagan Century, and it's great but there aren't any others that I know of. It's capped at 400 but more just show up on race day. You basically have to follow the rules of the road as there are no marshals or officials on the course. You can ride as hard or as easy as you want and it's open to anyone. Sort of like Triathlons and running races.
Just my opinion.

Good luck. I know you'll be successful with them.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a great ride like this just outside of Vernon, The Okanagan Century,

Greg,

The Okanagan would be great for one of these events!

Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathletes on tt bikes trying to hang with roadies... the name should be centuring cycling crashfest.

My sense is that this is something that people overly worry about. It is true that many triathletes are not the best bike handlers. Part of the issues is the bikes they choose to ride - see my earlier post. However, terrain and the early pace can be very selective - if you have ever been on any big group ride or century, this is typically the case, and the selection is made. It's pretty simple - you are either in the group, or you are not. It may be a bit of an eye-opener to more than a few triathletes who have never experienced this kind of riding. The good news is that these events are likley to have some big numbers so, after a while it will settle down a bit and people will slot in with others near them or just ride on their own. As Graham said, he did the Etape this year with over 9,000 people and there were few problems.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do one in the northeast- the only comparables we have up here are the B2b century (actually 1.4x century) but it sells out instantly, and then there is the green mountain stage race which is really a cat3 event...

Do you want climbing?

Probably the most photogenic/famous place to have it would be in NH- could do something like the "sea to summit" old adventure racing course- or look at the course used by the "reach the beach" relay running race- both are about the length you want...

the obvious course would be sort of "reach the beach" backwards- start out in southern NH somehwere, maybe by the hampton beaches. Then there woudl be one of two signature climbs- option 1) you could finish with climbing mt washington (which would be EPIC, no idea on permitting- they have a special race up that climb alone), or option 2) you could go over the kancamagus pass from north conway to the merrimac valley, then ride up and finish somewhere on or near franconia...(this is almost the exact "Reach the beach" 2007 course done backwards, except you would cut out the "add distance" loops that reach the beach added in area around lake winnipesuakee)

I know the area super well id be happy to talk

Clyde

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun.

As for the NE you obviously know the adirondacks pretty well. Either the southern adirondacks, catskills or berkshires/southern Vt should work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

My sense is that this is something that people overly worry about. It is true that many triathletes are not the best bike handlers. Part of the issues is the bikes they choose to ride - see my earlier post. However, terrain and the early pace can be very selective - if you have ever been on any big group ride or century, this is typically the case, and the selection is made. It's pretty simple - you are either in the group, or you are not. It may be a bit of an eye-opener to more than a few triathletes who have never experienced this kind of riding. The good news is that these events are likley to have some big numbers so, after a while it will settle down a bit and people will slot in with others near them or just ride on their own. As Graham said, he did the Etape this year with over 9,000 people and there were few problems.

Tour de Tucson (similar concept)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yvOBwTTqM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graham....I think the original site that you looked at for a North East Ironman before settling on Lake Placid was Mont Tremblent Quebec....what do you think? Do all the courses need to be single loop or can you have 2x50 miles?

You could also have a pretty cool course going from Muskoka across Algonquin Park and back.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you coming to Mammoth Lakes????

This is the first I've heard of it - LOVE IT.

Can you give me any idea of which of our roads you plan on using? I have a great and super fast/perfect smooth road 25 mile TT (fairly flat for 11 out - climb another 1 1/2 and return. You can add up to about 5 miles of climbing if you want). The air is thin = fast times.....

Are you planning on using the century route for the 100???

Dave (in Mammoth!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something like this in the Okanagan would be huge. Start in Vernon, follow the South side of the lake until you hit the bridge, cross into downtown Kelowna, head up into East until you hit highway 33E, then climb all the way to Big White Ski Resort. That should get you close to 100 miles. Nice roads, very scenic. Starts off with a nice lakeside rolling course, climbs up into wineries and then in the last 60km or so you get to climb up to 5500 feet.

Sign me up.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are interested in some new events but want ot do a good job on the ones we have in 2010 first..after that we will look into North east USA...south east USA...canada..tremblnat, niagara (my old turf)..collingwood may happen next year,,will know tomorrow,,
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [clyde_s_dale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the comment about a GranFondo type event in the Northeast.

http://www.cyclosportif.com

The Univest Grand Prix in the Philadelphia region has been doing the cyclosportif for almost 20 years, and encompasses some of the most amazing roads the area has to offer. It's a shame the event is more widely popular, because John Eustice is a tremendous promoter with the right idea.
Quote Reply
Re: centurion cycling [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is Mike Riley going to be there at the finish? "you are a Centurion"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AVE!
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Something like this in the Okanagan would be huge. Start in Vernon, follow the South side of the lake until you hit the bridge, cross into downtown Kelowna, head up into East until you hit highway 33E, then climb all the way to Big White Ski Resort. That should get you close to 100 miles. Nice roads, very scenic. Starts off with a nice lakeside rolling course, climbs up into wineries and then in the last 60km or so you get to climb up to 5500 feet.

Sign me up.

I would sign up for that in a second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We are interested in some new events but want ot do a good job on the ones we have in 2010 first..after that we will look into North east USA...south east USA...canada..tremblnat, niagara (my old turf)..collingwood may happen next year,,will know tomorrow,,

Collingwood would be a tonne of fun. With a tonne of hotels etc as well. That is one place I actually wish there were a long distance tri again. I miss the old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My sense is that this is something that people overly worry about. It is true that many triathletes are not the best bike handlers.

I think for once you're being too light on triathletes. If they allow tri bikes (aside from the Saturday TT) on these rides I wouldn't attend. I would say they can ride so long as they don't draft but look how successful that is in most IM races.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Centurion cycling what is it [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Graham....I think the original site that you looked at for a North East Ironman before settling on Lake Placid was Mont Tremblent Quebec....what do you think? Do all the courses need to be single loop or can you have 2x50 miles?

You could also have a pretty cool course going from Muskoka across Algonquin Park and back.....

x2

Those would be great locations!

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next