Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder Beer Mile
Quote | Reply
Under sunny skies and nice temps - at an undisclosed location - Josh Shadle, "massage therapist to the stars," ripped off a 6:36 "beer mile," consisting of 4 beers - one per lap - and a mile around the track, to win the New Year's Eve version of the "Boulder Beer Mile." This eclipsed Pete Valentyk's winning time of 6:47, set in July. Shadle, just 25 years old, is an an elite triathlete in his own right; but, showed equal prowess at handling his beers. "I looked at this race as a culmination of the long triathlon season this year. Knowing people like Matt Reed and Simon Lessing were in attendance; plus, World Champion, Joanna Zeiger, toeing the line, I knew I had to be at my best. I think I tapered smart for the race." Word is Shadle used Karen Smyers' famous Ironman taper of 3 beers 3 nights before, 2 beers 2 nights before, and 1 before 1 night before.

Zeiger, the reigning 70.3 Women's Champion, had an off day; but, still managed to come away with the victory in just over 9 minutes. "Clearwater took a little out of me," alibied Zeiger; "and, I knew I'd be doing a few jello shots tonight to bring in the New Year." I'm not sure what happened out there today; but, hey, a win's a win."

In the "Super Master's" category, I'm proud to say, this 53 year old was able to run an 8:25, winning the 40+ and 50+ AG handily, and ranking 11th in the world for 50+, per beermile.com :).

When told that some well-known coach in San Diego did a 6:20 something beer mile recently (someone named Stone or something), 5X World Champion, Simon Lessing, offered: "Sure, sea level. Try doing this at 5,430 feet ... like the past 2 Ironman World Champions have trained at ..."

Happy New Year to all - here's to a healthy, fun, and successful year for all!
Last edited by: 5430tri: Dec 31, 08 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Beer Mile [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
race pics in blog post: http://finangers.blogspot.com

nice job, Barry. that practice boozing helped you out today!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so proud ;-)

Happy New Year to all!

Phil

--

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Beer Mile [camelboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the compression socks. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice writeup! Just out of curiosity, what kind of splits did Shadle run to get to that 6:36?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Beer Mile [wvmountaineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Shadle's splits. He definitely was a whole lot better drinking the beer fats vs. the Mile in July, where he finished 2nd to Peter V (who was ill this race, but still got 2nd). It appeared his splits were fairly consistent, and he was quite lucid after the run, when interviewed by the press. His only difficulty was "containing himself," as he wore an extremely skimpy brief under his fashionable dinner jacket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the podium standings? Just seeing if Billy Edwards was able to crack into the top 3. haha
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Beer Mile [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billy did, in fact, crack the top 3; but, clearly based on his pure running speed vs. his beer drinking ability. Just as an outside observer, Billy is a bit stronger on the quantity or endurance side, when it comes to beer, vs. that quality, speedwork. He and Brad Seng also blitzed the "Boulder Hangover Run" this morning, a nice little 10 miler (of course, lengthened into at least 14 or 15 by the new local sensation, Brooke "I just love this tri stuff" Davison)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in total awe of anyone who can slam 4 beers and still run that fast. I think I would be seriously reguritating somwhere on the third or fourth lap...

Spot

Quote | Reply
Just got this video from the start of the BMM: http://www.facebook.com/...&oid=44328974934 ... it shows Shadle downing his first beer in around 8-9" ... while Billy was more like 25-27" ... with former awesome pro - and now awesome realtor - Wes Hobson, screaming at him.

BTW, just in case you have never seen Wes' "claim to fame" Clif Bar commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am impressed every time I see these beer mile results. That is certainly not something I'd be good at.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder Beer Mile [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude... german's and canadian's are culturally "naturals" at this sorta stuff. I bet you crack 7:30. ;)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha that Clif bar commercial never gets old!

I can't view that facebook video though, guess I'm not their friend or someother cheeky facebook thing.

Shanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did Simon talk smack on san diego and not even do the race?

disappointed matty did not compete either. this is not a spectator event. at least do a relay or something, c'mon boulder!

Lars- amazing to do a "practice run", I can only do one beer mile per year!

personally. I dropped 2 minutes off last year due to running slower and drinking faster. 8:22 while running the last lap looking over my shoulder and working hard to stay in front of womens champ Heather Fuhr.
Quote Reply