Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
All Tri 101's are cancelled
Quote | Reply
http://www.trioneoone.com/

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how come, not enough enrollment???

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

http://physasst.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW...let the conspiracy theories begin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoa.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One magic loogy.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doomed from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One answer ,George Bush shutter downnnn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet it just killed you to type that post.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this sucks. really sucks.

well I think dkt should fly overseas to get in a 70.3 before clearwater....

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had high hopes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's sad news - I was hoping the series would survive and be big. I'm sure we'll eventually find out why.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that sucks.

i'm not someone who travels much to race. but i was hoping that this length would catch on, and i'd be able to race one someplace nearby.

oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really, really unfortunate. Clearlake was a blast and was planning doing it next year. I'm hoping that it's not terminal..

Roadie to Trigeek convert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ack! Was really hoping to get to Newfoundland next year - what a great venue/distance/race!

Quote | Reply
wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that sucks....it is a great distance...with NA IM events selling out in hours it would have become a great option for many.

lets give them credit for attempting a news series.... a learning expeirence that may be corrected by them or someone else in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [doublej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ets give them credit for attempting a news series.... a learning expeirence that may be corrected by them or someone else in the future.

Agreed. I hope they come out with some sort of statement on reasons and what happened. A list of "Things to avoid" if you will.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [doublej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sucks....it is a great distance...with NA IM events selling out in hours it would have become a great option for many.

lets give them credit for attempting a news series.... a learning expeirence that may be corrected by them or someone else in the future.

Dead on. Rome wasn't built in a day.

What did we learn? IMNA is NOt having problems, yet other races are falling off one at a time. Take a look at the ones that have built some steam over the years. Timberman and SOMA come to mind. Start with one good race. Expand from there. Give EACH RACE its own identity but keep it covered under one governing body. Let each race grow on its own. It'll take a few years but at least it'll still be around.

Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if someone could create a series based on the Triple T format.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if someone could create a series based on the Triple T format.

Who would be crazy enough to do that more than once a year?!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newfoundland is a 70.3 I don't think there was a 101 planed for there. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ack! Was really hoping to get to Newfoundland next year"

Did you mean the 70.3 race in Newfoundland or was there going to be a 101 race there too? I am hoping to do the 70.3 race there next summer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess that is what happens when you go up against the Microsoft of racer promoters. Too bad...I was going to do Clear Lake next year.
Quote Reply
Re: All Tri 101's are cancelled [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me me me me me! I loved that race. So much fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you had more than high hopes. Weren't you prognosticating how Tri101 was the next coming of triathlon?

I really love the fact that people in the forum in particular got up on their high horse about this race and really ripped people who from the get go who pointed out the many flaws and weakness of the Tri101 series (including the poor race venues, the odd distance of the race, over stretching resources in the first year, etc.) Moreover, many people would rip on others who suggested that better new distance triathlon would have shorter relative bikes and swims as wussifying the sport, etc. These wussified distances seem to be doing great.

Rather than embracing a more all encompassing view of growing the sport, these people view anything less than epic distances as not real tris. What they don't understand about marketing and growing a business is that you need to understand the demand of those who will participate.

Just look at running (with the incredible growth in 5 and 10ks ) Many people use these short races (even if finishing a 5 k in 1 hour) as a jumping off point to accomplish something more like a marathon. Tri101 is like starting an 18 mile running race. Who the hell is going to do it? It isn't a marathon and any newbie isn't going to just sign up for 18 miles when they can do a marathon.

People just starting the sport aren't going to sign up for a long distance run that isn't a marathon. It has no cache value. And those who are marathoners (despite the 30,000+ participants in LA, NY, chicago, etc.) want to do these big event (like triathloners whoe want to do IM branded races) because it has the spectacle and brand of the big race. Tri101 was just a flawed business plan all around. If you don't understand the market you won't be a success.
Last edited by: DoubleTrouble: Aug 23, 07 13:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next