Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters
Quote | Reply
looking for used sram red group. for a starving grad student, pm me with your best offers!

tweets. pics.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [jedtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want 11spd see my post here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [jedtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tt or road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jedtris wrote:
looking for used sram red group. I'm looking for a hand out

There, i fixed it for you. Seriously, if you don't really have the money and are scraping by like your original post indicates, then you don't need sram red. Look at the most cost effective options like Force and Rival instead of begging for a handout or some special consideration. Stop with the entitlement generation, everything should be given to me crap.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was an unnecessarily judgmental reply. Perhaps he's just looking for a deal, as his post indicated. If someone's selling, it's up to them to decide what they want to sell for. Now I'll get off your lawn.

wiRIDEfast wrote:
jedtris wrote:
looking for used sram red group. I'm looking for a hand out

There, i fixed it for you. Seriously, if you don't really have the money and are scraping by like your original post indicates, then you don't need sram red. Look at the most cost effective options like Force and Rival instead of begging for a handout or some special consideration. Stop with the entitlement generation, everything should be given to me crap.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely understand that notion, however what was the point of adding that he's a starving grad student?...to appeal to sentimental values and try to get us to feel sorry for him and give him a better deal, essentially asking for a handout. Someone who is actually starving wouldn't/shouldn't be in the market for red. I guess i just find it offensive that someone would have the audacity to ask for special consideration or a hand out. Plenty of us on here worked hard on our own to get what we have and to get where we are, we would have been embarrassed to act in such a way. I don't like the fact that the hard work and make it on your own attitude seems to have gone away for the younger generations. Sometimes when you have champagne taste but only a cheap six pack budget you have to settle for the six pack. Anyway, off my high horse now.

Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's not a generation in history that didn't believe the generation that followed them wasn't screwing up the world and their way of life. I'm sure you're too young to be falling into that belief already yourself!

Most of us have been there as students where money is tight, but we've got champagne tastes on a Natty Light budget. It didn't ever stop me from still searching for a deal to appeal to my tastes. I guess I'm a glass half full guy and would like to believe he's not asking for a handout but it's a way of saying he's on a budget & a situation a lot of us can relate to.

wiRIDEfast wrote:
I completely understand that notion, however what was the point of adding that he's a starving grad student?...to appeal to sentimental values and try to get us to feel sorry for him and give him a better deal, essentially asking for a handout. Someone who is actually starving wouldn't/shouldn't be in the market for red. I guess i just find it offensive that someone would have the audacity to ask for special consideration or a hand out. Plenty of us on here worked hard on our own to get what we have and to get where we are, we would have been embarrassed to act in such a way. I don't like the fact that the hard work and make it on your own attitude seems to have gone away for the younger generations. Sometimes when you have champagne taste but only a cheap six pack budget you have to settle for the six pack. Anyway, off my high horse now.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: sram red group shifters/fdr/rdr/brakes/shifters [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i'm in college, so i dont have a lot of money" or "trying to stay under $" would be a better way to say it. Saying you're starving is completely different, and very tacky. Searching for a deal and working to have the cash to afford whatever is a much better way to go about it than claiming starvation/looking for a handout. I have no issue with thinking that the entitlement generation has it all wrong and should be ashamed of themselves for asking for handouts or thinking they should just get something because they deserve it. I also am not a believer in the champagne taste and natty light budget. I'm realistic about budgets, i don't yearn or covet for things I can't afford, and I'm smart with the money I do have.

If i were in the situation of needing/wanting a groupset but not having the money, i would be buying a group i could afford with the money i do have. Not asking for a groupset i can't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really want to bump this to the top, but I also don't want to be the guy that never responds to his own thread. My apologies for offending you wiRIDEdfast, but "starving college student" is a pretty common colloquialism and I didn't really mean much by it. At any rate, I'm sorry you took it so literally. I probably could have said something along the lines of "trying to stay under budget" as you suggested, but you probably still would have been offended saying something along the lines of "then why are you looking at sram red".

But yes, I am looking for a deal, or "handout" as you call it. So what? I'm hoping that someone will have something lying around and think back to their college/grad school years and wish that someone would have cut them a break. I will always have a soft spot for college/university students trying to scrape by in this incredibly expensive sport, and I will absolutely pay it back when I become a respected member of society.

Thanks to those that did pm me with offers.

tweets. pics.
Quote Reply